PDA

View Full Version : what is to become of our hobby now?

T Man
09/12/2007, 07:54 PM
Please read this post (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1205766[/url)

greenbean36191
09/13/2007, 07:28 AM
Nothing. The red list has no regulatory function and the corals listed aren't in the hobby anyway. All corals are already listed as CITES appendix II, which does give them legal protection and a few species are listed as threatened by the federal government.

T Man
09/13/2007, 05:04 PM
Pheeeww! Thanks GB, I have a better understanding now. I read an article awhile back about a ban on red corals, for making jewelry, knick-nacks etc. This article is so vague that it had me concerned about the future of the reefkeeping hobby.
What is CITES appendix II? is there a possibility of this list to expand to include some of the corals that we have in our systems today. Thanks again.........TinMan

greenbean36191
09/13/2007, 06:48 PM
CITES is the Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species, which is essentially a self governed treaty on trading threatened and endangered species. Based on how threatened each species is it's assigned to one of 3 appendices. Appendix I is pretty much for truly endangered or threatened species and trade is only allowed in very special cases and with a lot of red tape. Appendix II is species that aren't endangered but need to be regulated so they don't get that way. Essentially a yearly collection quota is set by each member country and once that quota is met no more collection is allowed for the year. Appendix III is for species that have regional or local issues but the rules are basically the same as Appendix II. To import any CITES species into a member country you have to have the correct documentation to prove that it was collected in accordance with CITES, i.e. it came from another member country and the quota for the year wasn't already met.

All of the hard corals, LR, clams, and some of the fish in the hobby are already listed as Appendix II. Pink and red corals (which refers to certain species, not the color) were recently added to Appendix II, so they got the same protection that our corals have had for years.

2004jeepoutlander
09/15/2007, 06:04 PM
yea it wont be much longer until ALL hard corals are banned form colelction i give it 5 years 10 at the most.

T Man
09/15/2007, 06:07 PM
Thanks again GB, I really appreciate your input. TinMan

GreshamH
09/19/2007, 12:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10761477#post10761477 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greenbean36191
CITES is the Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species, which is essentially a self governed treaty on trading threatened and endangered species. Based on how threatened each species is it's assigned to one of 3 appendices. Appendix I is pretty much for truly endangered or threatened species and trade is only allowed in very special cases and with a lot of red tape. Appendix II is species that aren't endangered but need to be regulated so they don't get that way. Essentially a yearly collection quota is set by each member country and once that quota is met no more collection is allowed for the year. Appendix III is for species that have regional or local issues but the rules are basically the same as Appendix II. To import any CITES species into a member country you have to have the correct documentation to prove that it was collected in accordance with CITES, i.e. it came from another member country and the quota for the year wasn't already met.

All of the hard corals, LR, clams, and some of the fish in the hobby are already listed as Appendix II. Pink and red corals (which refers to certain species, not the color) were recently added to Appendix II, so they got the same protection that our corals have had for years.

What fish? Marine or fresh? Just curious as this is news to me, but we never dealt in truly rare fish. I would imagine Arowanas would be listed, but I can't imagine any marines (sharks?). Not that I don't think many should be. Heck, I think there should be quotas on everything harvested for this trade, but I bet I'm in the minority on that one :(

B. cardinals didn't get CITES yet, just red listed, right? Will that help them get listed in the future, even though it doesn't have any CITES link?

greenbean36191
09/19/2007, 10:26 AM
Off the top of my head seahorses come to mind, but I don't know how many others if any are listed.

Bangaiis aren't CITES listed yet and I think it was last year they tried to get them listed, but they failed because Indonesia didn't support it. They said that some of the local collection controls (which aren't working) were all they needed. Hopefully the red listing will help put more pressure on them to go along with the CITES listing.

GreshamH
09/19/2007, 11:21 AM
Oh right, seahorse :) Duh :lol:

IIRC it was 5 countries that spoke against the CITES listing, what a shame/sham!

Hopefully this listing will be the final push needed. The trade can make do with what it has IMO :)