PDA

View Full Version : about to start up a tank

aceheart1976
09/12/2007, 08:02 PM
i purchased a 47 gal perfecto tank for the wife to have seahorses in, the dimensions of it is 20wideX18 deepX31 tall. i will be having a skimmer that is rated for 75 gal coming hopefully this weekend, the tank itself came with a fluval 305 canister, stand and lights. all brand new for the LFS.
i was wondering if a deep sand bad and about 50lbs of LR would be good for biological filtre for maybe 4 seahorses when it is set up and going

aceheart1976
09/14/2007, 11:53 AM
was hoping to get some feedback on this, to make sure im doing things right for the seahorses

SeaHorsie*03
09/14/2007, 05:33 PM
Sounds like a great setup :thumbsup:
Definitely big enough for four seahorses to live very comfortably and be happy. You might even be able to put in a couple more depending on the kind.
The deep sand bed and amount of live rock will work great for biological filtration.

If you want to find LOTS of info on seahorses, check out www.seahorse.org

aceheart1976
09/14/2007, 10:02 PM
thank you for your support seahorsie, im planing on taking pics when i start setting this up and maybe make a post to follow with the complete setup :) just wished i had more money so it would go faster lol

MSAreef
09/14/2007, 10:58 PM
Your tank dimensions sound great. Very tall. When you are buying your liverock I would look for the branching kind to provide some nice hitching posts. I also wouldn't make your sand bed too deep. My dedicated seahorse tank had about 2 inches of live sand populated by many nassarius snails who did a great job turning it over. I also found some turtle grass on line from, I believe, floridatpets.com. At first I had caulerpa which grew too fast and went sexual on me. I would use one small powerhead to keep things circulating without blowing the horses away. I actually liked the HOB filter because of the cascade which aerated the water nicely. Many people train their horses to eat at a feeding station. I used an abalone shell. This avoids the mess of frozen mysis scattered all over the tank and helps keep up the water quality.

aceheart1976
09/23/2007, 08:45 PM
as of right now i have a fluval 305 running, and also have an 18 inch t8 50/50 on the tank.
also bought a jebo skimmer, hang on for it but its not up and running yet due to its used and has 2 leaking o-rings :( but im looking for the right size ones to replace them with
appr 2 inches of sand and will be getting the rock next week to put in there also.
just mixed the water and put sand in today lol so still very cloudy but i took pics after i had it all together.... forgot to before i started lol
also, i took out all the media's in the fluval and just letting water run through it right now just for some flow

when its setup and ready we will be putting some small corals in there also, probably xenias, maybe some zoas and feather dusters. and also going to look for some macro type plants to add to it also

MSAreef
09/23/2007, 11:57 PM
Sounds like you've made some progress. Don't forget to post pictures.

aceheart1976
09/25/2007, 08:26 PM
we will be posting pics soo i hope, going to pick up rock this weekend and start drilling it to slide onto the stands i made for the rock, just made them a few hours ago and letting the pvc cement dry and cure out in the night air lol
will be doing more pics of the tank and get pics of the stands and the rock once i get it and start drilling it lol
already talking to someone about some "display type" macro also.