PDA

View Full Version : Remora Pro not skimming...grrrrr....

mccrat
09/12/2007, 09:42 PM
Hey All,
I had a super skimmer (up to 65g) and ditched the stupid thing because it wasn't doing dick all for me lately and did some research and found that the remora pro was 'supposed' to be a quality hang on skimmer that would produce results.

I am still waiting for results.....

Its been up and running on my 90g for exactly 1 week now and has produced all but about 2 mm in the bottom of the cup. That's with the cup as far down as it goes. The store I deal with recommended that I upgrade the pump so I switched out the mag 3 with a hydor seltz (450gph). With my nitrates high and a good bio load at the moment, I would have thought it would be 'broke in' by now and skimming like no tomorrow.

Someone...anyone? Some of you I am sure have a remora pro. Any suggestions as to why it wouldn't be skimming? The air is being forced through the injector and there are millions of bubbles....just no foam. I tried adjusting the white screw to see if it made a difference but with no luck. I even checked their web site to see if I could find a trouble shooting guide of some sort but there was nothing.

Does anyone out there have any idea of what I could try? Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks!

luke33
09/13/2007, 06:15 AM
I suggest you go down you your LFS and put your foot up that guy's you know what. The remora pro is pure expensive junk. Thats all it'll give you. According to aqua c you should expece one cup of green tea every other week. I spent about 300 on one with a mag 7 and it sucked. That was the biggest waste of money i have ever had since being in th ehobby. Although wetwebmedia tells everyone to get them as aqua c is tehre best sponsor.

chadfarmer
09/13/2007, 12:02 PM
that is why i pay the extra for something and buy once

the SS is better than the remora

Pbrown3701
09/13/2007, 01:06 PM
FYI, the white screw is just to clean the injector, not an adjustment.

I ran a remora with ok results for a year or so. What is your salinity at?

Smalls1
09/13/2007, 01:18 PM
I run the Remora Pro with Mag 3 and get awesome results. Did you clean the injector?

Lumamae
09/13/2007, 02:15 PM
another AquaC(rap) story. in sump skimmers perform much better than HO skimmers. even the Deltec HO units do not perform anywhere as well as their in sump models.

MJAnderson
09/13/2007, 02:22 PM
Not sure what to say, but I run a Pro with a Mag 3 on an 80g frag system and pull out a cup of skimmate a week. I don't even have fish, just feed 3x a week with cyclopeeze/oyster eggs and have some LR.

Oh my o-ring is about 1" from the bottomw of the cup, so it sits fairly high.

silvers
09/13/2007, 02:24 PM
aqua-c is crap the css is a better skimmer exp. with a larger pump I have a modded css220 on my 22g nano and it dose ok. For that large of a tank I would get alot bigger skimmer than eather of these.

luke33
09/13/2007, 02:33 PM
A cup a week in an 80g frag tanks is far from good. I have 4 small fish with 125lbs of LR and pull 2 cups a day of cofee. No dosing and feeding every other day.

luv951
09/13/2007, 04:14 PM
I had a remora pro too and it never, and I mean never, filled the cup in over a year of use. I adjusted, tried bigger pumps, different pumps, changed its location, and all I would get is the occassional 1/2 inch in the cup - over a couple of weeks. They are hit or miss and with no real adjustment capabilities, you are stuck with what you have.

I would say get it back to the LFS and see if you can get your money back. If it has not produced skimmate by now, it never will.

mccrat
09/13/2007, 04:33 PM
I haven't cleaned the injector because its new....I would imagine it would be quite clean but I will run the brush through it to see if it helps.
My salt is at 1.024.

I am soooo disgusted.

lecher
09/13/2007, 04:44 PM
If you can buy or DIY a surface skimmer box for the pump it will improve performance. This is why in sump models perform much better. I ran an Aqua C Urchin Pro (the in sump version of the Remora) for a long time on a 90 gal with good results. It would fill the collection cup every 3-4 days with dark green skimmate.

OliverM3
09/13/2007, 04:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10760697#post10760697 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lecher
If you can buy or DIY a surface skimmer box for the pump it will improve performance. This is why in sump models perform much better. I ran an Aqua C Urchin Pro (the in sump version of the Remora) for a long time on a 90 gal with good results. It would fill the collection cup every 3-4 days with dark green skimmate.

I would have to agree. My two plain old remora's would pull almost a cup a day from both when I ran them on my 76g hanging off of the sump.
It's that surface skimming that makes them better.

mccrat
09/13/2007, 04:59 PM
hmmm, very good idea. I'am not sure if I have anything to DIY a surface skim box from that will fit over the hydor...I know you can buy them for the remora but its probably made to fit the MAG it comes with.

I will look into it though! Thanks so much.

Roger928
09/13/2007, 05:01 PM
To respond to you question:

Skimmers can take a couple of weeks of break-in before an appreciable of skimmate is produced. Though you can check the pump inlet and injector to be sure they're clear. It will start to give better results very soon.

I happen to love my Remora Pro and Urchin Pro. They both perform well with little fuss.

mccrat
09/23/2007, 07:51 PM
I see you work in advertising...are you trying to advertise that this is a good skimmer? It sucks. I have ran it for 2.5 weeks with NO skimmate.

I am taking it back to the store.

roblack
09/24/2007, 02:14 PM
Remoras belong on large pelagic creatures, not in your tank. Mine sucked too.

wayoutacontrol
09/24/2007, 08:27 PM
What LFS in calgary did you buy it from?
Any input on a good HOB skimmer for a 33 gal tank?