PDA

View Full Version : flushing loud drain

tony098
09/12/2007, 10:18 PM
I have the all-glass tank (6' 125 gallon) with built-in twin mega flow. My sump is on the right so is closer to one drain. The closer drain I use spa hose and have no problem. However, the farther drain I use flexible hose (5 feet) because spa hose is too rigid. Probably a dumb idea but too late because the tank is filled.

There is burping noise coming down this drain. I have to raise the standpipe all the way up to reduce the flow through this drain to reduce the noise. I can see the hose and the standpipe vibrates.

What can I do to reduce the noise without replacing the hose? Just want to avoid draining/filling the tank.

Thanks.

wintercool97
09/13/2007, 09:16 AM
I have no idea!

bump! for someone who might

Thinslis
09/13/2007, 09:34 AM
You shouldn't have to drain the whole tank to replace the hose, the tank is only going to drain what ever water is above the overflow box, once it gets below the overflow no more water should flow down the pipe. At that point you can remove the hose and replace it. I would reccomend putting in unions and ball valves so you can shut down your waterflow as needed.

You can see my plumbing pics in my build thead in this forum... don't have the link to paste at the moment because I'm being lazy =p

jsr
09/13/2007, 09:41 AM
I have the same problem on my 135G and will be installing new PVC plumbing this weekend. I did quite it down by reducing the bends in the flex hose. Once drain goes directly into the sump with a 2 foot hose, the other uses a 4 foot hose that I had to suspend to stop the flushing sounds.

Thinslis
09/13/2007, 10:20 AM
Here in the link to my build thread, you can see my plumbing here

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1178054

Avi
09/13/2007, 10:33 AM
There are a number of ways to address this problem...this very simple one made of commonly available PVC completely silenced it for me....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Avrumeleh/sumpsilencerPAINT.jpg