PDA

View Full Version : Help! I think something may be seriously wrong

tfleming09
09/13/2007, 06:58 AM
I have a 24G reef tank. About a week ago I started to notice one of the coral polyps I had wasn't looking so good. I didn't think too much of it.

Fast forward to this morning and I had a juvenile blue tang (about 1 inch) turn up dead that I'd had for about six months. To add insult to injury, he wedged himself so far into the rock that I can't get him out. The strangest part is, yesterday he was fine. He wasn't swimming slow or acting weird at all.

I'm worried that the entire system may be on it's way out. Though I'm not sure what I did wrong, I obviously did (or didn't) do something - is there anything I can do to save it? I have a clownfish and a diamond goby that still look ok for now.

OmarD
09/13/2007, 07:24 AM
Do whatever it takes to get the dead fish out.

Do some serious water changes.

dc
09/13/2007, 08:37 AM
I second the serious water changes. Have you tested for ammonia or nitrites?

ACBlinky
09/13/2007, 10:47 AM
Get the body out, do a series of large water changes, skim wet if you've got a skimmer, and run some carbon.

Please don't replace the tang, a 24g tank is way too cramped for even the smallest tang.

AMIFL
09/13/2007, 10:50 AM
I second the not having a tang in a 24 comment. Did the tang have ich on it when it dies? Was something in there harrassing him at all?

frags on a rock
09/13/2007, 12:09 PM
keep doing water changes. keep anytang you want as long as its a juvi!