PDA

View Full Version : Best Camera?

randyorr
09/13/2007, 07:20 AM
I am in the market for a new DSLR camera. I want it mainly for taking tank shots with the natural tank lighting. I want to be able to take professional quality tank photos. I also want to be able to to take colorful close-up photos of corals with actinic lighting. What camera and lense, etc. is recommended? I would like to stay under $1,000 if possible. Thanks. If anyone has some pics to show examples, that would be great!

Rosseau
09/13/2007, 07:35 AM
As you'll probably hear, your lens choice is usually more important than the camera body you choose.

To stay within budget I would recommend looking at the Canon XT or Nikon D70 (?). They are both capable of great shots and you have a large selection of lenses from both manufacturers.

Kit lenses that come with these cameras are also quite capable of good shots if you learn how to use them. Likely, you'll see some macro shots on here and want to get a macro lens which will throw that nice $1,000 budget a little out of whack.

Good luck!

randyorr
09/13/2007, 08:20 AM
I am leaning towards the Canon Digital Rebel XTi. I am also looking into the Canon 50 mm f/2.5 EF Macro Lens also. Any input on this combination?

gregr
09/13/2007, 08:29 AM
The 50mm macro a wonderful lens for the money but people generally get the 100mm macro lens as a standard. Just gives you a little more reach and magnification (lifesize versus half lifesize with the 50). Regardless, if you want to keep the initial price down the 50 will do you well. The main downside of that lens (aside from the magnification) is it has very slow autofocus. The upside is it's a little better than the 100 for full tank shots because of the wider angle.
Know that with the shots you want to take a sturdy tripod will improve your picture quality dramatically. Many people go with Bogen/Manfrotto because they models at a good price/quality compromise.
Unfortunately photography is a lot like reefkeeping- expensive and addictive :p

juniormc8704
09/13/2007, 08:33 AM
after having a sigma 60mm, a sigma 150mm, and now a tamron 90mm, hands down the best lens is the tamron 90mm macro. do yourself a favor and go to a retail store and put different lenses on different bodies and spend a couple hours playing with them before you make your decision.

randyorr
09/13/2007, 09:29 AM
What would be a good "all around" lens along wwith the macro lens?

randyorr
09/14/2007, 06:55 PM
Is the one that comes with the kit any good?

juniormc8704
09/17/2007, 12:08 AM
most kit lenes are fine for general photography. you want a lens that starts about 15-18mm, and the best all around lenses are a range of 18-200mm. However make sure you buy lenses with quality optical glass or you are just throwing money away. Also a lens with vibration reduction is very helpfull for telephoto shots.

Also very important to get UV filters for ALL lenses. Its a cheap way to keep your optical glass safe, just screw it on, and your safe from scratches on your lens. If it gets scratched, spend 20 bucks and buy a new one. A whole lot better than dropping another 500-800 on a new lens.

randyorr
09/17/2007, 06:12 AM
Thanks guys! Your input has been very helpful. Now all I have to do is round up a million dollars to buy all the stuff I want.