PDA

View Full Version : Calcium additives for a nano

Edward Smith
09/13/2007, 10:37 AM
I'm setting up a 18g zero edge aquarium that will have SPS and clams. The size of this setup doesn't really justify a dedicated Kalk/Ca reactor or pump dosing two part. But I'd prefer to avoid manual additives (damn, am I lazy). Has anyone every tried these?

http://www.hbhnet.com/Products/bricks1.htm

What have you been using to maintain good calcium levels?

Can I maintain good calcium levels with doing manual two part additives, even if I only dose once a week?

Thanks for any help

Savas
09/13/2007, 11:56 AM
Sounds like a bad idea for a nano. The bottom line is these things just dissolve whether you need to add CA or Alk or not. Water temp, flow, and even lighting could affect their solution rate.

It takes me less than 30 seconds twice a day to dose my tank. I dose a teaspoon of CA in the morning and teaspoon on Alk in the afternoon. No bid deal if I miss a day or two. I know from my expereince dosing weekly does not work - you get a spike and then low readings.

burton14e7
09/13/2007, 12:21 PM
I've been doing 10% water changes twice a week on my 24g. I just get my 5 gallon jug filled every monday and do a water change of 2.5g on Monday and Thursday. That keeps everything in line.

PSam
09/13/2007, 12:33 PM
You could certainly use a two part to maintain good balance. I'd imagine the only potential downside would be 1x / week dosing - you don't want to add too much of the alk buffer at once. So, I suppose that all depends on your weekly alk consumption, just measure it.

Edward Smith
09/13/2007, 01:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10758590#post10758590 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Savas
Sounds like a bad idea for a nano. The bottom line is these things just dissolve whether you need to add CA or Alk or not. Water temp, flow, and even lighting could affect their solution rate.

It takes me less than 30 seconds twice a day to dose my tank. I dose a teaspoon of CA in the morning and teaspoon on Alk in the afternoon. No bid deal if I miss a day or two. I know from my expereince dosing weekly does not work - you get a spike and then low readings.

Thanks....I appreciate your experience.

I noticed you seperate the CA in the morning and then the Alk in the afternoon? I'm assuming because of the pH fluctuaction related to the lighting cycle? Have you tested the pH and alk for flucuations between the morning and evening doses?