PDA

View Full Version : Koralia 4 magnetic base for plywood tank

wooden_reefer
09/13/2007, 11:48 AM
Does the magnetic base of the Koralia K4 work on 1/2" or 3/4" plywood? I mean in a plywood tank.

Abiathar
09/13/2007, 03:15 PM
If you have the wood and the pump, test it dry. Hydor says it will work on glass up to 1/2" so may work on wood up to that, don't know how well on the 3/4" though. But the best way to know is to try.

Steve

rsw686
09/13/2007, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure how well this would work. The Koralia mount is a combination of a suction cup and magnet mount. I can remove the outer magnet and the suction will hold the Koralia up.

wooden_reefer
09/13/2007, 04:41 PM
I can also drill a small hole and use a set of nylon bolt and nut. The more I think about it the easier this actually is. It should not leak especially as the pressure of just three or so inches of water is not great.

Would a nylon bolt and nut set secure the K4? Does it come with a plate of some sort to hook up the pump body? Is so I can secure the plate with the nylon bolt and nut set.

Conesus_Kid
09/13/2007, 06:33 PM
There's a peg that fits into the powerhead w/ a ball that fits into a socket on the plate. The plate has a suction cup fitted to it and a magnet within.

I would test the magnet on the dry plywood. Most of the holding force is achieved with the suction cup. I'm not sure if it would stick to an epoxy-sealed plywood tank, but I would assume it does.

Hope that makes sense.

cougarguy
09/13/2007, 06:37 PM
Or you could use a forstner bit from the out side to thin the wood down to 1/4-3/8" so the magnet will hold, that way you dont have to worry about the screws leaking.

hebygb
09/13/2007, 07:06 PM
I like the idea of thinning the wood on outside, drilling just removes the flexibility of relocating the pump... one of the key reasons of using that pump... IMO