PDA

View Full Version : Question on live bacterial sand

treyh423
09/13/2007, 12:03 PM
Hi,

If anyone could help on this topic I would appreciate it.

I am pretty new to the tank world. I used the bio sand when I first setup my tank. After numerous cleanings the sand level has dropped.

I want to add another bag of sand to the bottom. Is this okay? Safe? Its supposed to lower Nitrate levels too. I know how delicate the tank can be so I want to make sure this okay before I go forward.

Thanks in advance.

papagimp
09/13/2007, 12:09 PM
I think it would be a waste of money to get more livesand for an existing system. Your current sand will seed and liven up any dry sand you add. Just rinse well prior to use. And maybe only do a little at a time, 1/2 - 1/3 of the sandbed, so you don't bury all the good bacteria right now.

A deep sandbed can help with nitrates, but it must contain anerobic (low/no oxygen) zones and anerobic bacteria that will consume nitrates. Look up DSB and read all the info you can, some love these, others hate em.

Thinslis
09/13/2007, 12:11 PM
Yes you can add new sand to the tank, however I would save your $$ and just buy regular dry agornite sand. If you already put live sand in once you don't need to do it again. If you are going to put the sand into an established tank with live sock I would wet the sand with RO water, then drain the water and then scoop the sand into plastic baggies and submerge the baggie to the bottom of your tank and gently empty the baggie.

amike5
09/13/2007, 01:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10758639#post10758639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by treyh423
After numerous cleanings the sand level has dropped.

Are you saying that you clean your sandbed on a regular basis? By vacuuming? Vacuuming is a no-no. If so, may want to find other ways to clean it, various inverts can do a great job.

papagimp
09/13/2007, 01:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10758691#post10758691 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Thinslis
If you are going to put the sand into an established tank with live sock

Live Socks!!! I'd fire that dry cleaner! :D