PDA

View Full Version : How long will a coral last in a bag?

Jah2707
09/13/2007, 12:35 PM
I am thinking of buying a yellow tipped torch. I would have to pick it up Friday night and it would not be in my tank until Sunday! Is it possible to keep it alive and healthy for two days? Is there anything I can do like put it in a bucket and air pump or something? What do you think?

AquaReeferMan
09/13/2007, 01:22 PM
I wouldnt do it. Sounds very irresponsible if you ask me. It could last maybe a day or so but why would you want to put it through that much stress.

Jah2707
09/13/2007, 01:24 PM
That is what I thought buy I thought I would see if anyone else had done it before. Thanks for your input

Meisen
09/13/2007, 01:31 PM
I have done it before for even longer. My longest was 5 days for SPS and LPS and 7 days for zoanthids. Usually a 0% mortality rate. Its pretty amazing how hardy these animals are (and I am not using their hardiness as an excuse to abuse them). This doesnt count for newly arrived animals/freshly fragged etc. They often wont even survive a 12 hour trip.

As long as you can control the temps and pack it right, three days should be no problem for a healthy, acclimated coral.

If you are really worried, get a second bag of water and switch the coral into it after the first 24 hours or so.

Jah2707
09/13/2007, 02:32 PM
Never mind the guy sold it right out from underneath me. Man Sometimes I hate people on RC! Thanks for your help. Now I will know for next time

pledosophy
09/13/2007, 02:54 PM
I've done 4 days with softies and LPS without a problem so far. They are in a bag for an extended period when they are shipped to the U.S. as well. Food for thought.