PDA

View Full Version : Corals fading

bourbeaue
09/13/2007, 12:39 PM
I have been running my reef (165) for over six months and am having difficutly with my corals that seem to be fading in color. This applies to Acropora and Montipora species, as well as to a green brain coral which is slowly fading in color as well. I feed DT's twice a week, my calcium is at 400+, ORP is always at least 350, Carb hardness is between 8-12. Phosphate is at 0. I light 12 hours a day with 4 overdriven T5's and 2 regularly driven T5's (actinic). I have two montipora's that are not growing and fading. I have two Acropora that are growing but also now very very pale (one has blue tips).

What should I be looking at changing ?

Thanks for your help.

E

SlowCobra
09/13/2007, 01:30 PM
How old are the bulbs?

King-Kong
09/13/2007, 01:32 PM
Bourbeaue: Please provide some photos.

What kind of skimmer do you use, what is your fishload like, and do you use sand?

Sounds to me like not enough nutrients (nitrogen sources) for your corals, and too much skimming or lighting.

miztic
09/13/2007, 01:51 PM
I'm with king-kong, get more fish, fish poo = coral food
the phyto doesn't do much for sps corals except increase zoo plankton maybe..

bourbeaue
09/24/2007, 02:46 PM
I have a pretty heavy fish load: large Hippo, medium yellow tang, 3 green chromis, two large Ocellaris clowns, large lawnmower blenny, scotts wrass, 3 bartlett anthias, 1 cleaner wrass, Royal Gramma.

My Hippo is a ppop machine and eats a lot. I feed quite a bit to make sure my anthias always have food. My bulbs are 6 months old (T5's). I have a bout 1.5" of sand and an ASM G4Plus skimmer and ozone.