PDA

View Full Version : deeping the sand bed delima

Aquarist007
09/13/2007, 12:42 PM
I only have a 1/2 sand bed in the main tank. My fuge is giving me a wide diversity of inverts ect that might appreciate a deeper one in the main tank. I know how to gradually increase it.
One of the vendors in area who I respect alot--tried to talk me out of it----he stated that in the long run deepsand beds become nitrogen storages and release them back into the tank.
I always thought if you had the right clean up crew--necessarius snails etc that this would not be a problem.

Is this misconception?

Neezy
09/13/2007, 12:59 PM
I have a 3+" bed in my tank and have never had a problem, u just have to be careful.

its true that nitrogen can build and pollute, but like u said a good cleanup crew and diff fish (diamond goby) will keep it turned over often enough that the skimmer will collect and the gas exchange will happen. also just by using a thin rod and turning over sections the bed once a week or every other week will stop the gas trap too.

Thats just me though, im old school and i prefer my tanks with 2-4" bed

Neezy
09/13/2007, 01:01 PM
plus the deeper bed will provide a larger food source and home for the pods, inverts, and fish, it just overall helps the tank... like i said though its my opinion and experience

King-Kong
09/13/2007, 01:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10758888#post10758888 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
I only have a 1/2 sand bed in the main tank. My fuge is giving me a wide diversity of inverts ect that might appreciate a deeper one in the main tank. I know how to gradually increase it.
One of the vendors in area who I respect alot--tried to talk me out of it----he stated that in the long run deepsand beds become nitrogen storages and release them back into the tank.
I always thought if you had the right clean up crew--necessarius snails etc that this would not be a problem.

Is this misconception?

Search around and youll find old DSBs that "got full". One of the better known ones was Bombers tank. He had a RC TOTM with sand, and eventually, nothing he did would stop the algae and etc. from growing. His sandbed filled up. His solution was to go BB, and be better able to control the nutrient level at any time.

75Gallons
09/13/2007, 02:28 PM
I believe the general idea is that as long as the sandbed is disturbed gradually on a continual basis then the toxins are gradually removed from the not causing any problems. I'm pro deep sand bed so I say go for it. DSB are too common for them to be the death sentence that many make them out to be.