PDA

View Full Version : Coral banded shrimp aggression

stingythingy45
09/13/2007, 01:44 PM
Is this something to be worried about?
I feed shrimp pellets to her when the actinics are on and the other fish come around to grab morsels and she snaps at them.
But,that's really not what bothers me.She's on the prowel every night.I've checked during the night with a red flashlight and she's everywhere.I recently just got a Foxface Rabbit for the tank and I noticed it sleeping up near the skimmer powerhead of my CPR.
Is this nomal or could the shrimp be harrassing the fish during the night?I also have :

2 chromis
2 damsels,one blue,one yellow tail
Lawnmower blenny(I seen her grab his tail one time)
He's big and got away no problem.

I think the CBS is a beautiful creature.I would hate to move her to the QT tank.

michaeljames
09/13/2007, 02:13 PM
I had to break down an entire tank once to remove a CBS, can't speak for all of them but I was glad to be rid of mine...

Kanicky
09/13/2007, 02:47 PM
I've had mine for about six months now, and (knock on wood!) he's been great. He doesn't really come out during the day; just kind of hovers underneath a ledge until the lights go off, then he has his fun. Never had any issues with him being aggressive. I mean, don't get me wrong, he will defend himself, but he's never been one to "start stuff."

Of course, just as with any animal, the CBS' have their own personalities and some are just vicious...

Justin James
09/13/2007, 03:48 PM
I've had my CBS longer than anything since I started this hobby around 4 years ago. My coral banded shrimp was one of the first additions I ever got for my first tank. My coralbanded is well over 3 years old and has never caused a problem. He has shared tanks so far with pistol shrimp, peppermint shrimp, cleaner shrimp, blood shrimp, emerald crabs, and porcelin crabs. I love em. Yes he does prowl around at night but the only thing he ever bothers is the odd bristle worm he finds and eats. Yes it's true they love bristle worms for treats and thats why they hunt at night.

Roy G. Biv
09/13/2007, 04:41 PM
Evil creature!! Well, only when they get big.

Mattmcf
09/13/2007, 05:11 PM
mine has been banished to the refugium, along with a damsel!

Wrench
09/13/2007, 05:25 PM
I have a mated pair in my reef. They show some agression when a fish enters their corner of the tank but they're too slow to do any harm. I've kept them with cleaner shrimp without an issue.

frags on a rock
09/13/2007, 06:56 PM
he's hungry

Wrench
09/13/2007, 07:40 PM
Yeah that could be. I noticed a decrease in aggression when I started hand feeding my shrimp. I'll give them a chunk of whatever when I feed the tank a few times a week. I was never convinced that they found enough just scavenging.

kidchill
09/14/2007, 05:21 AM
Mine likes to slam his claws around when fish get too close, but I went out of town and WWIII happened in the tank. There were chunks out of my starfish and the CBS had his big pincher claws ripped off and each one was on the opposite sides of the tank. They finally grew back; I still don't know what happened, but I wish I could've been there to see it....Other than that I think he looks cool floating around and picking on the rocks, no real issues for me....

stingythingy45
09/14/2007, 05:58 AM
Every night she seems to come to the front of the tank under a ledge there and waits for me to drop a couple shrimp pellets.
Last night I dropped some and she went for it.Of coarse the fish came swimming around her.She grabbed at them(one of the chromis actually kissed her on the head).lol
I feel better about this now.She must be on the prowel for bristle worms instead of hunting fish.Come to think of it a chromis died and fell behind the rock a week ago(think it was sick from the LFS) and she never touched it.