PDA

View Full Version : stocking a 180..what do you think?

nellahtes
09/13/2007, 02:11 PM
ok, im putting a list of fish for my 180 and would like some input. i will post what i want and then ill take all feedback good or bad and adjust from there. i also would like to have at least one tang. which one would you suggest would be a good fit with my list and be good for the tank size. the only other big fish would be the triggers. TIA

crosshatch pair
laboutie trio
lineatus male
hooded pair
tonga flame pair or trio
rhomboid pair or trio
candy cane hog
twin spot hog
mccoskers trio
yasha goby pair
chromis 5-11

jda
09/13/2007, 03:04 PM
Crosshatches will likely be at 8+ inches for a male and 6+ inches for a female. They eat a lot - I have one. Mine will eat a big sheet of nori twice or three times a day. They can really pollute your reef if you feed them correctly. They are great fish other than their size.

I like chocolate tang. They are beautiful, stay small and are not agressive.

That is a lot of wrasses that will be quite the bioload as they grow. I would limit yourself to a couple of pairs or trios.

I would skip the chromis - I have never had good luck with them. My many have always turned into one or two.

Capt_Cully
09/13/2007, 06:37 PM
yeah, i agree, seems like alot. I have alot of fish but most are around 2 inches. I have 2 tangs that are 3-4 inches and 1 trigger that's around 5. I think it's a bit crowded.

nellahtes
09/13/2007, 08:52 PM
ok thanks...however would this bioload be ok for a year to 1 1/2 years in the 180?

dadonoflaw
09/13/2007, 11:26 PM
some of that is also a function of how much filtration u have. to attempt it u better have a great skimmer and carbon wouldnt hurt

prugs
09/14/2007, 12:17 AM
Are you going to have sps, lps, or leathers for corals?
Some of those wrasses get quite large.
I'm a big believer in working fish for example; Tangs, Halichoeres sp. of wrasses (radiant wrasse). I like the smaller mccosker wrasses, a pair of Rods onyx clowns, a goby/pistol pair.

nellahtes
09/14/2007, 05:32 AM
no sps for now...last time was a disater. but a larger tank is in the works.