PDA

View Full Version : Dosing pumps- best uses maybe?

Murderface
09/13/2007, 03:14 PM
I just picked up a dosing pump and am looking to use it. Other than a constant beer drip , Im having a hard time deciding what to use it for. I.E. top-off, buffer, calcium, ess. elements and so on. I guess it depends eh? Your input would be great! Thanks

racer69
09/13/2007, 03:45 PM
I use a dosing pump for my 2-part calcium/alkalinity. I run it steady and dose about 300ml per day.

Murderface
09/13/2007, 04:00 PM
I would assume that depending on the tank size , the amount dosed will vary. Do you find that the levels fluctuate less, making for a more stable environment? Im curious because i am trying to figure out what tank to put it on. I was thinking maybe on my 25 because withh evap it tends to change a little faster. WDYT

racer69
09/14/2007, 07:15 AM
Yes, your amount would vary depending on coral demand and tank size. If you are using a dosing pump and have the drip rate dialed in, there is almost no fluctuation. Your seahorse tank would not use much ca/alk so I would put it on your 75. Now this is if you are wanting to dose ca/alk.

Murderface
09/14/2007, 07:54 AM
Your right. Puting the drip on the horses could lead to a bad situation also. Dont want to kill 'em. So the 75 it is. As far as the ca/alk, is this 2 separate containers that your going back n forth from or is it a mixture? Curious because everything says dont mix the 2.(on the back of the bottles)

freddie40
09/16/2007, 01:10 PM
If you only have one try dripping kalk opposite of your lights. This will add equal amount of CA/ALK and help to maintain your PH. I have been doing this successfully for years with my pump.

Here's how I do it. I bought a ceramic crock and stand to hold a 5 gallon water bottle. I hooked up some tubing (reduced to 1/4") to the pump. I mix 5 gallons of water with 5 tablespoons of Mrs Wages pickling lime (bought at King Stupids) and 8 oz of vinegar. This mixture gives me a higher dose of CA/ALK per gallon and keeps the PH high. I then drip a little over a gallon every night opposite the lights. Works great. Every Fri I balance the tank with Dow Flake/Baking Soda.

Dave

Caleb Kruse
09/16/2007, 03:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10764629#post10764629 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Murderface
Curious because everything says dont mix the 2.(on the back of the bottles)

One time I wondered the same thing so I mixed the two. It will just make calcium carbonate, fram that CO3 in part one thats supposed to raise your alk, and the Ca in part two to raise calcium.

Rocmtnreef
09/19/2007, 02:23 PM
My vote is do a Kalk dose, it will top the tank and maintain your Ca levels. Keep your mixture consistant shake/stir once in a while depending on where your doser is pulling from. twopartsolution . com has bulk Ca and Alk mix for sale. Check is out!