PDA

View Full Version : Flying with Coral - How to?

skatezen
09/13/2007, 06:15 PM
This year I will be attending my first MACNA. While packing my suit case I realized I didn't have a planned way to bring back all my goodies. How would I go about transporting coral on an airline? Has anyone done it before?

reefkoi
09/13/2007, 06:24 PM
you can check it with your luggage but I got hassled at continental last year they said i could only bring 8oz of water onto the plane. it took a while to finally get approval. The various airlines lose my luggage about 50% of the time even on direct flights, even when i check in 2-3 hours early.
I will be bagging them with very little water when i arrive at the airport and take them in my carry-on, I'll have newspaper in case I get hassled about the water and can soak the paper and re bag them if absolutely needed.
You may lose a coral or 2 though, that's the risk
Chris

specialkb
09/13/2007, 09:08 PM
find a ups store and ship them next day to your house before you leave.?

Tennsquire
09/13/2007, 10:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10762644#post10762644 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by specialkb
find a ups store and ship them next day to your house before you leave.?

Probably the best choice. A few mos. ago, I was flying back home from my family's place in S. Fla. I had called Southwest ahead of time regarding corals in checked baggage. I had a cooler all set up for them, and was assured that it was okay. When I got to the airport, it was a no-go. They said no saltwater on the plane. I ended up renting a car and driving home because it was a Sunday and I couldn't UPS them. Even though I thought I had arranged it ahead of time, it didn't work, and I wasn't willing to let all the corals I had expire so I could catch a flight.