PDA

View Full Version : salt brand pH

Mavrk
09/13/2007, 11:10 PM
Okay,

I am currently using Oceanic (it is the cheapest one around here), and my pH has been consistantly at about 8.4. I mix my water overnight (or longer).

I know this is within parameters, but I would be happier with a little more wiggle room. My RO/DI water is neutral (less than the 7.4... that is as low as my test goes). What I am wondering is if others have found different salt mixes to have different pH levels.

I think I will change to IO, and may do a 50/50 mix of IO and Oceanic as I saw somewhere on here (at least until I run out of Oceanic... maybe longer if I like the results).

WaterKeeper
09/14/2007, 09:26 AM
There are some variations in the buffering systems used in the various salt mixes. This means they do differ in pH with some slightly lower than others. A pH of 8.4 is nothing to worry about and is maybe some what better than having it on the low end of the desirable range.

For all practical purposes RO/DI doesn't have a pH at least to the home aquarist who doesn't have the proper equipment or buffers to accurately measure it. It adjusts just about instantly to the pH of the salt water mix.

FleeVT
09/14/2007, 11:24 AM
What would be your recommendation for salt? I'm getting ready to fill my tank and have yet to decide between IO and RC.

Mavrk
09/14/2007, 04:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10765928#post10765928 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FleeVT
What would be your recommendation for salt? I'm getting ready to fill my tank and have yet to decide between IO and RC.

There have been several threads on this. Most people use IO, followed by RC. This does not mean these are the best, just the most popular.

One person said they use a 50/50 of IO and Oceanic and I thought that would be a good idea.

WaterKeeper
09/15/2007, 08:43 AM
I like to use a single brand and stick with it. The reason being is that you build a history of your water chemistry over time as you repeatedly test it. Changing salts can upset the balance you have been getting and require you to change your additions of additives for Ca or Alkalinity to make up for the new formulation.

I use IO mainly because it has a good track record. Some salts may be better in some ways but I haven't done that much switching around. There are a couple of salt mix studies out there but there test methods have differed and the results vary from report to report.

skriz
09/15/2007, 11:13 AM
I use RC. Used to use IO in my smaller reef system. Like Tom said, stick to one brand and you'll be fine.

Ph of ROdi should be 7, but that won't make any difference. The only time this will be of concern is when you are doing a fw dip. Then you will need to test it as you raise the ph to match that of your tank.

virginiadiver69
09/15/2007, 11:30 AM
Sorry to hijack but when I see waterkeeper respond and I have a question that is relevant I don't pass up the opportunity to get some advice.
I use IO for weekly 10% water changes and have a pH that is rock solid steady at 8.0. I top off with limewater (1tsp/gal) via drip line and keep a window open in my tank room. Is there any reason to try to get this a little higher, and if so what do you recommend?

WaterKeeper
09/15/2007, 11:50 AM
Not if it is rock solid Va. Even night time pH levels of 7.8 or so in the early morning are within acceptable limits. That is why I'm not worried about a pH of 8.4 that is common in the evening with many reef tanks.

virginiadiver69
09/15/2007, 12:18 PM
Cool, thank you.

prugs
09/15/2007, 09:23 PM
If you are looking for Reef Crystals or Instant Ocean. Checkout Dr. Fosters & Smith, they are sponsers here. They do not have added weight fees for shipping salt. Most people in our reef club use the Reef Crystals.

Mavrk
09/16/2007, 09:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10774890#post10774890 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by prugs
If you are looking for Reef Crystals or Instant Ocean. Checkout Dr. Fosters & Smith, they are sponsers here. They do not have added weight fees for shipping salt. Most people in our reef club use the Reef Crystals.

They actually have it on sale right now. What is the big difference between IO and RC?

prugs
09/16/2007, 09:22 AM
Most use IO for fowler tanks.
There is a lot of info on the subject, but look for the most current.