PDA

View Full Version : Overflow GPH

bkoz
09/14/2007, 11:38 AM
I have an Eshopps PF-300 overflow thats 6X3X10 and has a 1" bulkhead. It says its for up to a 75g tank but doesnt say what it will flow. Does the PF-300 meen 300gph? I thought a 1" bulkhead will flow 600gph witch is what im hoping to get out of it. I bought two of them (got a real good deal) just incase but would rather not have to run them both to get the flow I want to my sump. THanks for any info.

dhnguyen
09/14/2007, 12:32 PM
Why do you need 600gph through your sump? High sump throughput is actually not a good thing to have by the way.

You should shoot for 3-5 times tank volume through the sump.

dhnguyen
09/14/2007, 12:36 PM
Also the drain rate of the overflow is dictated by the drain pipe diameter as well as return pump

1 inch I think is about 600gph

http://reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php

bkoz
09/14/2007, 12:52 PM
Its a 1" bulkhead and i'll be using 1" ID vinal tubing to the sump. The return pump is rated at just over 800gph @ 4'.

I figure the 3-5 turnover rate is for a sump thats in proportion to the MT volume? I have a 30 gallon sump and 38 gallon MT so I thought id push more through the sump for a higher turnover rate? In a sump thats skimmer-fuge-return I could understand not puting that much flow through it but im running a middle return sump so I can control the volume through the fuge seperately. Am I off on my thinking here? I havent set the tank up yet or even sileconed the baffles in for the sump (but I have them ready) so I could change things if I need to. Thanks for any advice.

dhnguyen
09/14/2007, 01:08 PM
HOLY CRAP batman @ 800gph return.

You don't need that much throughput through your sump which is entirely separate than the flow rate inside the display tank. I think this is where a lot of people are getting confused on - in tank flow rate versus sump throughput.

Higher sump throughput will likely cause a micro bubble issue and even affect your skimmer's performance negatively due to the extra turbulence.

If it were me I would use a 300gph pump something like the Eheim 1250 and call it the day. Could even use a Maxijet 1200 even and save yourself a lot of electricity and headaches later on.

Then figure out your desired intank flowrate and go from there (with either additional powerheads or closed loop) I personally like powerheads better than closed loop. Something like the Hydor Koralia, Tunze, Vortech, or even MJ mod

Racing1
09/14/2007, 01:16 PM
I agree with dhnguyen, you do not want too much flow throught the symp. I have a mag 9 for a return on my 29g with 10g sump and have it dialed back so I am getting roughly 400 gph through the sump. You could use the pump you have and just use a ball valve to dial it back if needed. Also you said it runs 800 gph at a 4 ft head. Thay is based on a striaght line. If you have elbows and valves in the return line you need to account for the head loss. Use the headloss caculator on the main page and it will give you an idea of what you need for a pump.

dhnguyen
09/14/2007, 01:32 PM
Yes but you are in the planning stages, you could save yourself a lot of money and electricity by buying the right return pump in the first place rather than getting a large return pump and then having to dial it back. :)

bkoz
09/14/2007, 01:35 PM
Hey guys thanks alot for the quick responses!!!

I allread have the pumps and pretty much everything else I need. I also agree I dont want to valve down a pump. I was gonna use the return pump to supply my fuge as well. I could have allways diverted water back into the return aria with a valve if the pump was too much. Im not apposed to selling the pump(s) I have and getting somthing else if I need to, I dont want to do this twice.

I used the HL calculator to figure my flow. I was actually gonna use a Quiet 1 4000HH for my return with a SCWD, this pump can be run external, do you think it would be good for a closed loop? I have another pump (via aqua 3300) that does just over 400gph at 4' (using the HL calculator) I could use for my sump, would that work? Would you recomend I set my sump up skimmer-fuge-return instead or is center return ok? Thanks again!!!

dhnguyen
09/14/2007, 01:48 PM
The ViaAqua would definitely be better for a return I think.

Man... That is gonna be a lot of powerdraw between the Quiet 1 4000HH (120W) and via aqua 3300

Are you sure that via aqua 3300 is only 400gph at 4' HL?

http://www.graystonecreations.com/riotable.htm

If the above specs are right it should be about 634gph at 4'
which still a lot for a return.

bkoz
09/14/2007, 02:49 PM
Ok I guess I should have done more research BEFORE I started buying things!!!!LOL

Hows this look?:
Mag 7 is 440gph @ 4' according to RC calculator and only 45 watts
I could still use my SCWD and would loose 15-20% flow from that and be pretty much in the 300gph ballpark? Then i'll take your advice and get a couple of good power heads.

scubajsm
09/14/2007, 02:56 PM
I have the 200 and with my little giant 1200gph was way too much flow through the sump. I have 2 one inch drains, (one drain going to fuge one going to skimmer section)and I had a horrible time getting the MB under control. I turned my pump back to about 960gph and this took care of the flow issues and MB. I can now had my mud in the fuge w/o it blowing out. I put 2 koralies #3's in the tank for added circulation which has been great.

Lumamae
09/14/2007, 03:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10767215#post10767215 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bkoz
Ok I guess I should have done more research BEFORE I started buying things!!!!LOL

Hows this look?:
Mag 7 is 440gph @ 4' according to RC calculator and only 45 watts
I could still use my SCWD and would loose 15-20% flow from that and be pretty much in the 300gph ballpark? Then i'll take your advice and get a couple of good power heads. Good Choice! :thumbsup: You really don't need more than 400gph on a 75g tank. For low heat transfer, I like the Eheim 1260 return pump.

dhnguyen
09/14/2007, 04:32 PM
Hey FWIW.

I just test 2 of this kit and they work great

All you need are a couple Maxijet 600 pumps and you're good to go with the 2 kits.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AF-SF1600&Category_Code=Maxijet

1500gph ish flow from each easily.

My initial review on them
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=10767518#post10767518