PDA

View Full Version : Genicanthus courtship

SDguy
09/14/2007, 08:11 PM
Has anyone experienced what Genicanthus species angels do during courtship? I caught my male blackspot angel doing some weird stuff tonight. He swam under the female, turned sideways, flared all his fins, intensified his color, and, for lack of a better term, futtered his tail very rapidly. The female just hovered, motionless. There was no aggression, and these two have never ever shown aggression. Was this some sort of courtship? It was nohing like anyhting I've seen them do before...

snorvich
09/15/2007, 07:12 AM
Sounds like you have an interested male. What time of day with regards to your light cycle? I get that with my fairy/flasher wrasses but I only have single sex examples of Genicanthus although I have a male G. bellus coming in the not too distant future.

SDguy
09/15/2007, 07:33 AM
It was about an hour before lights out.

jmaneyapanda
09/15/2007, 10:26 AM
My watanabe's do the same, except the female often illicits and recripocates. She parade in front of him and flutter her tail rapidly. Whens he's interested, he kindof soar on his side exactly how you describe. They'll do it anytime, but when the MH go off and the actinics are the only ones running, they go at it heavy.

SDguy
09/15/2007, 12:06 PM
Cool! Very interesting! Thanks for the replies. This actually makes me feel better. I was always worried about keeping these guys (especially the big male) in a 4' tank. Guess this means they are content. :)