PDA

View Full Version : Help please, SCWD not working and I sold it to a fellow reefer!

rishma
09/14/2007, 10:09 PM
I bought a SCWD and tested for 1 week on a 20 gallon tank closed loop. It worked fine, no problems. I decided against using it for my application so I took it off the tank and put it back in the box. After about 1 month I listed it on RC with some other stuff and sold it to a relatively new RC member.

I got an email tonight and the buyer reports that the SCWD is not working properly. It does not alternate flow just discharges water from both sides. Obviously he is bummed, I am puzzled.

What can cause this? Can someone help trouble shoot for us? Please! If it doesnt work I'll refund the payment. That'll set me back the orignial cost plus the shipping to buyer, paypal fees, etc. Okay, I'll quit whinning......it just sucks.

Help would be really appreaciated.

sanababit
09/14/2007, 11:25 PM
probable calcium buildup inside wich is not making it change valves, i'd say put it in white vinegar to see if it loosens up the insides so it alternates the flow, good luck

sana

reefer4sho
09/15/2007, 01:47 AM
i warmed the vinegar a bit just warm enough to tolerate and left the scwd in a container of the vinegar until the vinegar became room temp then ran the scwd upside down under the faucet with some warm water.
good luck

rishma
09/15/2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the response guys. I'll pass that on. If it was calcium or something, wouldnt you expect the water to come out one side and not the other. It really seems strange that it flows out both sides of the SCWD.

reefer4sho
09/15/2007, 08:21 AM
it is very possible that the scwd is stuck between the two ports and has just become a flow restrictor.

rishma
09/15/2007, 08:29 AM
Well I just got another note from the buyer. If we blows into the inlet, he can hear the internals spinning freely, but still no switching. I do not know what the inside of the SCWD looks like, but it seems to me if it was jammed the internals would not spin.

Any more ideas/comments.

Many thanks

Kaos
09/15/2007, 09:20 AM
Doesn't the SCWD have flow coming out from both sides even when the side is "off"? What I mean is even when it has switched to the other side it still has some water flowing through. If this is correct then make sure he know's this also.