PDA

View Full Version : Does salt have a shelf life?

SCOTT42
09/14/2007, 10:59 PM
I recently bought a new box of salt (3x 50 gallon bag's) of CRYSTAL SEA marine salt. It's not what I have normaly used in my fish only tank. I got it from my lfs . When I opened it up, It was kinda moist, not dry ,and easy to pour. I dont know how old it is, or if it is safe to use! All test look good, 3 year's in the hobby, and never seen this before. opinion's are welcomed please.

Thank you.
SCOTT42

supervdl
09/14/2007, 10:59 PM
should be fine.

frederickk
09/15/2007, 08:06 AM
Welcome to RC

As said it should be alright.

hawaiianwargod
09/15/2007, 12:47 PM
SCOTT42
[welcome]

Eel-byte
09/15/2007, 01:51 PM
I'm kind of in the same boat. I didnt seal my pail very good, now I have clumpy salt. It's seeming like I have to use a little more salt than usual when I make up water. I wonder if thats because of the moisture already in the salt?

SCOTT42
09/16/2007, 10:03 AM
Yes, I have had that happen before as well, but this salt was unopened and never used. I use TROPIC MARIN PRO REEF on my reef tank, no problem's there(I love that salt). But to save money I use INSTANT OCEAN on my fish only tank. When I went to my lfs to get moore, they where out of it ,so they recomended CRYSTAL SEA MARINE MIX instead of what I normaly get. I saved a little money doing this, but I wished that I had waited. (Lesson learnd)