PDA

View Full Version : Help with Toadstool

chwcdw
09/15/2007, 09:17 AM
Hey guys,

Need some advise on a toadstool that I brought home 2 days ago. Looked great at the LFS, large and open. Brought it home and aginst my better judgement added it straight to the show tank without QT fist.:( I know, I know dumb move. Anyway, it is now shriveled up and bent over and generally looks sad. It also seems to be slightly tearing at the base where it attaches to its rock.

I did acclimate it for 2 1/2 hrs in the bag while floating in the tank. Durring this time I gradually removed bag water and added tank water every 15min. or so. The toadstool looked great in the bag and for a while after being put in the tank. The next day it started its downward spiral.

This is a 90 gal. peaceful community tank with the following fish:

5 green chromis
2 ocellaris clowns
1 banggai cardinal
1 pajama cardal
Various snails and hermit crabs

I also have a frogspawn that is doing great. Opens up daily and is huge.

Water Parameters:

Slightly better than the water quallity at the LFS, their Nitrates are a lot higher. Yes, I tested their water before adding any tank water to the bag!

Temp 76 degrees steady
SpG 1.024 steady
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate Less than 5.0

Weekly Water Changes

Lotus99
09/15/2007, 11:42 AM
Give it some time. Some corals will take a while to adjust to new tank conditions.

You should check your alk. and make sure it's within normal range, as leathers can be sensitive to alk.

chwcdw
09/15/2007, 11:54 AM
Oops, forgot that tid bit!

Alk is high at somthing a bit over 3.6.

I use a Red Sea test kit so it's not terribly accurate.

PH is steady at 8.3

TitansFan
09/15/2007, 03:30 PM
hello chwcdw

My toadstool is very tempermental. I also think you need to give it a few more days. Mine took a few days when I first got it.
BTW you should visit the Middle tennessee reef Club Forum:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=286

Roger928
09/15/2007, 05:46 PM
Toadstools are quite moody. Just the slightest change in water and mine will close for couple of days.

chwcdw
09/15/2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

TitansFan; Thanks for the link to the forum. It's definately nice to talk to local guys.

BTW, the toadstool was up and down today. This morning after posting this thread, I went back into the living room to find it open and extended, then through out the day it would close and shrink, then open up a litte, etc. The polups never really came out though. I guess I over reacted, looks like its going to be fine.

Unfortunately, it has come off of its rock, and its currently wedged between two larger rocks in the tank. Should I glue it back on another rock, and if so what is the best way to do this? Do I need to cut the bottom off to clean it up a little, or just glue it as is?

laf-reef
09/15/2007, 08:40 PM
I agree with the previous replies, give it a few more days to a week to fully acclimate. If it's securely wedged between rocks I'd leave it there. It'll attach in a week or so.

darkcirca
09/17/2007, 07:26 AM
I picked up a toadstool from a lady that acquired a tank, she didn't have a light. Poor thing went probably 1-2 weeks with no light before being added to my tank (on the bottom for a few days to adjust). It took it a week almost before it became happy and opened up. It's big and nice looking now, just shrivels up at night, during water changes, and if a hermit crab makes it mad. This can sometimes last for a day or two though.

Runfrumu
09/17/2007, 07:37 PM
I got mine about 2 weeks ago. It done that for about a week, but now it looks great. It's tentcles wouldnt come out at all.