PDA

View Full Version : Ribbon eels

Caliloaner
09/15/2007, 03:25 PM
I think the ribbon eels look cool but I heard they are hard to keep in captivity because most of them wont eat... Anybody have one or know much about them?

hamcam80
09/15/2007, 03:30 PM
i have 1 on order. Sometimes they r stubborn to eat. A feeding stick may help so you can "handfeed" him in his territory.

Caliloaner
09/15/2007, 03:34 PM
the adults look really cool.. How much did you pay? I just dont want to spend alot and then he dies from starvation... Did you order online?

hamcam80
09/15/2007, 03:35 PM
no, my lfs is ordering it for me. I'm paying too much i think lol It's gonna cost about $160. I'm getting a blue 1. Should be in this week hopefully!

Capt_Cully
09/15/2007, 03:36 PM
Not trying to be a jerk, but they are very tricky to keep, and should only be attempeted by expert aquarists.

Again, I've been at it for a few years and I would not attempt it. I would recommend thinking about it long and hard. Read up and make your choice. Think about the eel's well being.

Sorry, just my 2 cents.

Good Luck

kathainbowen
09/15/2007, 03:52 PM
Ribbon eels are a very difficult type of eel to keep in captivity as there are often reluctant to take foods offered to them, both frozen and live. Many keepers note that the ribbon eel just stops eating all together after capture, and others note that the eels waste away in captivity. After getting past the initial issue of getting a ribbon eel to feed, other hobbyists have found them to be incredible escape artists, squeezing through the tiniest of gaps. They're really not a newbie friendly pet, nor even an experienced keeper's pet.

The ribbon eel is a truly unique animal. They change colors as they grow older, into either blue/yellow or black/yellow, which had people thinking that there were two different species as opposed to genders with two different color patternings. Unlike other members of the moray eel family, the ribbon eel will sometimes borrow in the sand instead of finding cave or rock holes, rather like a garden eel. In captivity, the ribbon eel is more apt to just find a nice crevasse to hide in, since most tanks don't offer a sufficient sand bed for burrowing. Like their moray cousins, the ribbon eel will hand out of whatever home they chose, with their mouths hanging open, seemingly menacingly (they're breathing though) and looking packed with personality. Definitely an intriguing animal to say the least.

I would steer clear of the ribbon eel if I were you. It's about the same kind of game as attempting to keep a moorish idol. With our current knowledge of their care and needs, the odds are NOT in your favor of keeping one alive for very long, and even worse as a new keeper.

As an alternative, there is the snowflake eel. While not as brightly colored as the blue (black) ribbon eels, the snowflake eel has neat patterns of black blotches/speckles on a white background (usually fading into a creamy yellow). They're far easier to keep and much more commonly available. They don't get too terribly large (actually, about the same length as the ribbon) and usually adjust pretty quickly to captive feeding programs. That and snowflake eels are very tough, hardy eels, like many of the other moray eels. A very sturdy, reliable animal.

.... it's just, despite what everyone says about them being kept with small fish... I wouldn't personally recommend it. Snowflake eels naturally prey upon shrimp and small invertebrates in the wild, but that isn't to say that snowflakes aren't opportunistic feeders that will go for small fish. That and well meaning LFS employees trying to coax new specimens to feed will often accidentally condition snowflake eels to develop a feeding response to small fish by feeding them live minnows, guppies, or other livebearers. This is not to say that it can't be done. I'm just a big believer in the thought that, if I wouldn't do it in my own tank, I won't recommend it to someone else.

Hope this answered your questions on the ribbon as well as possibly offered a different, more newbie friendly animal! Good luck with your eel endeavors!

kathainbowen
09/15/2007, 03:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10773265#post10773265 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Capt_Cully
Not trying to be a jerk, but they are very tricky to keep, and should only be attempeted by expert aquarists.

Wow.... if that's you being a jerk.... you must be the sweetest person on the planet, oh captain, my captain! :love2:

But, seriously, listen to the Capt. Cully and everyone trying to discourage you from keeping one. There are definitely issues with keeping ribbon eels in captivity that should NOT been taken lightly when considering acquiring one.

hamcam80
09/15/2007, 04:02 PM
Thank you very much for the input. I knew they were tricky, but didn't think it was near impossible lol. I will definately look at some other options.TY

kathainbowen
09/15/2007, 04:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10773365#post10773365 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hamcam80
Thank you very much for the input. I knew they were tricky, but didn't think it was near impossible lol. I will definately look at some other options.TY

Yeah, the failure rates I usually see estimated range between 90-99%. :(

They usually just end up being an expensive heartache.

Roger928
09/15/2007, 04:55 PM
Is yet another species that the LFS shouldn't sell.

JamesJR
09/15/2007, 05:20 PM
IF you get one that feeds, you have to make sure you give it the most peaceful surroundings and keep it completely free from stress or aggravation. Getting them to feed initially is just the first part of the battle. Getting them to keep feeding is the second and they seem to respond by going on hunger strikes when things aren't to their liking.

Also, Man I hate to be the guy who says "you could have got that cheaper" but 160 is around twice what I would expect to pay for one of these fish.