PDA

View Full Version : how do i wire pc fan to adaptor

heyfredyourhat
09/15/2007, 10:24 PM
Okay just found some pc fans that are supposed to be super quiet. Will buy the adaptor monday, but how do i wire it?? I dont have the fans here now, but i assume they are a 3 pin connection....

http://www.anitec.ca/product/6349/silenx_ixtrema_pro_80mm_9dba_quiet_fan/

i dont actually know if they are a 4 pin or a 3 pin connection???

Any help is appreciated

snulma1
09/16/2007, 06:55 AM
The best way, is to cut the connector off. And strip the ends about 1/3". Then do the same on the end of your adapter.

You are only going to need to hook to 2 of the wires, and I think usually they are red and yellow (its been a while, so im not positive on that, but nothing will blow up if u do it wrong). So try all 3 in diff combinations. Also make sure the fan is turning the right direction. Because if u hook the wires up backwards, the fan runs backwards.

Once you find the right wires, secure them. I prefer to solder and then shrink wrap. Some people just twist and shrink wrap, some just twist and tape. And Voila!

AZDesertRat
09/16/2007, 01:33 PM
You will want the red and black wires only. Ignore the yellow wire as it is not needed. I use butt splice crimp connectors and shrink tube to cover the splices and make them water resistant, not water tight. On the power supply you will only have two wires so its easy. Some fans will not run in reverse so temporarily twist the wires first before making the final connection to make sure rotation is correct.

DAN513
09/16/2007, 04:04 PM
The 4 pin fans will only have 2 wires, a black and a red. They will only function in one way, full speed.
The 3 pin fans will have 3 wires, red and black are your power wires and the yellow is for monitoring speed through the computer.
Either way, as mentioned you only need the red and black.

AZDesertRat
09/16/2007, 04:18 PM
To vary the speed get a variable voltage DC power supply. Less than $10 and you can vary fan speed with the turn of a dial or flip of a switch.

heyfredyourhat
09/16/2007, 08:37 PM
thanks guys. i was just unsure where to stick the third wire(if there was one).