PDA

View Full Version : ammonia spike

luckydog104
09/16/2007, 12:18 PM
I have a 125 that has been up since may. I let the tank cycle with 125 lbs of sand, 50 lbs of semi cured live rock. I let the tank go for 1 month like that , let ammonia spike ,trite, then trates. I then added 75 lb of mature live rock from my 55.Let it set for a week then added my fish from my 125 slowly over two weeks. I had a slight cyno problem start about 3 weeks ago and I read where I could leave tank in darkness for 4 days and it would kill my cyno. I was unsure so I pulled my fish and put them in Qt tank for this and now the only thing in the tank is rock,sand,a torch that I had in my 55 , some star polpys , xenia and a colt. I tested my water this morning and my ammonia is at 1.0 . This is day 2 well almost 3. I use ro/di water.What could cause this? Meantime I will test ro water for ammonia to make sure I am not adding it to my tank. Thanks, Danny

aquarius77
09/16/2007, 01:09 PM
Sounds like the cyno might be dying off and rotting in the tank.

Roger928
09/16/2007, 02:50 PM
It doesn't sound like the cycle was completely finished or stable enough before adding the fish. On a new setup you can expect a mini-cycle with nearly every addition to the system. These mini-cycles are usually short lived and minor.