PDA

View Full Version : EMERGENCY-What treatments for both ich and open wound?

yokoyii
09/16/2007, 02:54 PM
My yellow tang and coral beauty angel fish had ich. Clownfish had kind of like "open wound" and 2 not infected damsels. But, I am gonna put all of the fishes in the 32gallon Brute can for treatment. What kind of treatment are best for them???? Please help~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wooden_reefer
09/16/2007, 07:29 PM
Hypo or Copper for ich; antibiotics for open wound.

Hypo and Copper do not harm nitrification bacteria, some antibiotics like maracyn (regular), neomycin and kanamycin do not wipe out nitrification bacteria, some do.

The big question is how you are going to handle the ammonia given out by the fish during treatment?

What do you use for biological filter medium in your show tank?

yokoyii
09/16/2007, 08:19 PM
Can Melafix for open wound? How can I going to handle the ammonia given out by the fish during treatment?

wooden_reefer
09/16/2007, 10:30 PM
If you have cycled biological medium in your show tank that can be used in the QT you may do so. Such medium must have no invertebrate growth on it. (A few invertebrates may be brushed off inside the show tank)

If you use copper, the deposit on the live rock (copper carbonate) may make the LR unsuitable for a reef tank later. But you can do hypo with cycled live rock.

If the LR has invertebrate growth on it, hypo (and also Cu) will kill them and cause ammonia surge.

I always have a sack of cycled material ready for a situation like this.

You may also try Amquel (by Kordon) with hypo and antibiotics. Amquel will remove ammonia. I have not used Amquel for longer than a week. I don't know how long one can rely on Amquel.

ginger7286
09/21/2007, 06:26 PM
Becareful of the Brute containers too. I do not believe the gray/black are water/fish friendly. Check your water parameters daily to make sure something in the rubber/plastic is not leaching. if it does go with the Rubbermaid blue, fish/food/water friendly.

samlav11
09/21/2007, 09:13 PM
Hey there - this may come a few days too date - I see your post is from the 16th, but for what its worth, we had the exact same issue with our clown...he's our favorite fish so we tried everything to save him.

It all started with ich that affected the clown plus others. The clown developed an open wound on one side where you could actually see through to the other side.

First tried hyposalinity which he didn't react to well at all - by that time he was pretty sick and was weak. Even tried Neosporin (no joke) on the wound but it didn't stick very long to his coat - don't recommend for various reasons.

Ended up having great success with Maracyn 2. Cleared up the ich and healed the wound. 6 months later and you can't even see a trace of where it was on him.

Hope this helps and that it didn't come too late.

Best of luck!!!

samlav11
09/21/2007, 09:19 PM
Hey there - this may come a few days too date - I see your post is from the 16th, but for what its worth, we had the exact same issue with our clown...he's our favorite fish so we tried everything to save him.

It all started with ich that affected the clown plus others. The clown developed an open wound on one side where you could actually see through to the other side.

First tried hyposalinity which he didn't react to well at all - by that time he was pretty sick and was weak. Even tried Neosporin (no joke) on the wound but it didn't stick very long to his coat - don't recommend for various reasons.

Ended up having great success with Maracyn 2. Cleared up the ich and healed the wound. 6 months later and you can't even see a trace of where it was on him.

Hope this helps and that it didn't come too late.

Best of luck!!!