PDA

View Full Version : what can cause cloudy water?

geronimofish
09/16/2007, 05:13 PM
I have had my 65 gallon tank for 2 weeks. I started the tank with live rock and live sand. 2 days ago I added 3 damsels because prior to that ammonia, nitrate, nitrite were all 0. ph=8.3. now the tank water appears cloudy, but all the test are still the same. also, i noticed the top of some of my rocks turning brown. algea? thoughts on cloudy water?

bertoni
09/16/2007, 05:45 PM
The cloudy water might be a bacterial bloom. If you could borrow a UV unit, that might clear the water fairly rapidly. Otherwise, the bacterial bloom likely will go away on its own. A skimmer might help. I'd stop feeding for a few days and watch for signs of oxygen depletion.

Billybeau1
09/16/2007, 11:32 PM
First,
[welcome]

2 weeks may not be long enough to have enough established biological filtration to process the increased load of fish.

I would give it a couple more weeks. Damsels are hardy and should survive the cycle. Just keep an eye on your ammonia level. I would test every few days until your cycle is complete.

jkt182
09/17/2007, 06:35 AM
I'm in the same boat ... it's mostly debris and brown algae that my cleaner package is kicking up. I was told it should clear up in a few weeks. Just do normal weekly water changes. I do about a 20% every week now. Once it clears up i'll drop it down to 10% per week.

Here are some pics: http://www.kyleandtressa.com/aquarium/aquarium.html