PDA

View Full Version : Recirculating mod on ASM G2 Skimmer

flamenco-t
09/16/2007, 07:54 PM
I have a few questions in order to attempt to do this mod.

1. According to ASM, I should drill the uniseal to feed the skimmer using the overflow 3" below the cone, but do I really want to distrurb the bubles as it rises ? Shouldn't I put the feed uniseal bulkhead towards the bottom so the water rises to the top without distrubing the bubbles that is formed by the recirculating pump ?

2. I am still using the stock Sedra 3500 pump, can I still used this with the mesh mod as a circulating pump, or will I need a stronger pump ?

Setup are as follow;

75 gallon with lotsa LPS, Softies and a couple of fish. Feed twice a week, medium bio load so to speak...

stan

poppin_fresh
09/16/2007, 08:24 PM
I did the recirc and direct feed mod on my G2 almost 2 years ago now. I drilled a hole in my skimmer about 3/4 up on the skimmer body. I wasn't too fussy about it.

You will notice quite a difference in your skimmer by direct feeding it from the overflow. I wouldn't run mine any other way.

markandkristen
09/16/2007, 08:24 PM
ive never used the sedra 3500 with the mesh . im not sure on the results i did mod mine on the 5000 and increased the lph.

i think on most skimmers the feed supply is next to the top. thats the way i did mine. i however used a feed pump.

if its a 6" diamter than you can move up to the 5000 pump if you want. look at the rc-135 by euro reef .. i would try to mod it to that specs if you can.

i can tell you i have gotten better results with the pump mounted like euro and deltec.

i tried it the way they tell you to do it on thier site and you create head pressure if you do. in fact i tried it that way on my first skimmer and got lett results