PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing for a sump?

Marcelostank
09/16/2007, 09:56 PM
Well...where do I begin?... I guess 1st a little back story... I have a 40g that I've been researching on installing an over-flow to my 20g sump. I am a little concerned about loosing siphon on my u-tubes/overflow. I am thinking about just drilling my acrylic tank.

What does this involve? Do I just lower the water level and drill away? Sounds too easy! What about bulkead size and proper flow? Then how high do I drill the holes? How can I remove the scum off the top of the water if the drain/strainer is submerged?
Should I also drill holes for the return or make the return go up and over?

:confused: HELP!! :confused:

I've stumbled on the concept of putting a SQWD on my return... I've also thought about putting a seperate closed loop system... would this be a waste?

It seems as if the more I research the more questions I have... The best part is that I know have my wife's OK to get the sump going... Questions about the sump to follow once I figure this little dilema out!!

Thanks in advance!!

Marcelostank
09/17/2007, 09:25 PM
^bump^

Marcelostank
09/18/2007, 11:39 PM
bump

smurf04
09/19/2007, 01:09 AM
There are a million different way to do your plumbing I prefer an overflow withe holes drilled through the bottom. I use a durso standpipe in my overflow box . This does alot for me as I dont have to worry about siphon and the noise is pretty quiet. Ill try and post a picture. Another way you can do it is to drill a hole in the back and have a 90 deg elbow turned up and have the water pour into that which would allow some form of surface skimming. If your wanting to eliminate the number of holes then I would do your return over the top. Like i said a million different ways this can be done.