PDA

View Full Version : do I need to light acclimate in this situation?

latazyo
09/17/2007, 10:30 AM
I am switching from a 6 bulb individual reflector T5HO setup to a 175w MH setup

do I even need to light acclimate them in this situation?

papagimp
09/17/2007, 11:51 AM
When I changed from my 6 bulb t5 fixture to my 2 x 250mh retrofits, both lights at same distance to water surface, I didn't bother acclimating to the new light and my corals act like i've givem them less lighting than before. I doubt you'll need to but just watch em that first day and cut the light period short if you feel you need to. It not going to hurt the corals to have a day or two with varying light times.

marduc
09/17/2007, 12:43 PM
A precautionary reduction of your photoperiod would be something to seriously consider, keep a close eye on your corals and watch for signs of bleaching or distress, and if all goes well add an extra hour of light daily until back to normal.

latazyo
09/17/2007, 12:56 PM
thanks guys

I have a few pieces of screen on there and Im doing the reduced period for a little while

nice monti cap marduc....mine doesn't look like that :(

marduc
09/17/2007, 01:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10784473#post10784473 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by latazyo
thanks guys

I have a few pieces of screen on there and Im doing the reduced period for a little while

nice monti cap marduc....mine doesn't look like that :(

Its now several smaller pieces :D it got huge on me, so I yanked it and sawed it down for frags. That coloration is under T5's but I go heavy with actinics, and blue light, this seems to have been part of the key to it developing a nice florescent green. Are you supplementing those halides with actinics?

latazyo
09/17/2007, 05:05 PM
yeah, Im gonna save up to get a 2x39w T5 retro kit

so for now I dont have any, but I am planning on it