http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t219/corbett_n/IMG_1641.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t219/corbett_n/IMG_1638.jpg

thanks

Toddrtrex
09/17/2007, 12:51 PM
Tomato clown --- Amphiprion frenatus

Lord Sevein
09/17/2007, 12:52 PM
It looks just like a little tomato clown I had a couple of weeks ago. I assume that, from the picture, it's about 2'' or so? If that is the case it has a really dark beautiful color for being so small. Typically tomato clowns start out with a bright orange coloration and darken up with age.

From pictures 2 and 3 it looks to sill have a sliver of a second white stripe towards the tail. Juviniles start with multiple stripes which fade away with age. This leaves the prominent white stripe behind the "face" of the clown.

Beautiful fish corbett_n!

Hope this helps,
-Lord Sevein

:strooper:

corbett_n
09/17/2007, 12:59 PM
It does have a faint white stripe, thank for the ID, How aggressive are they and do they need anemone, and what about adding a mate.

Toddrtrex
09/17/2007, 01:08 PM
No clown needs an anemone in a home tank.

IME they are pretty darn aggressive. I had one back in the day and it was worse then the pair of GSM that I had.

As for adding a mate, hard to tell because yours looks like it is pretty small and may still be a juvi. Most of the time it is recommended to get one that is smaller, but in this case you might be able to get away with getting one that is larger and hopefully female.

corbett_n
09/17/2007, 01:12 PM
i will just stay with one, it will be easier in the long run

Lord Sevein
09/17/2007, 01:36 PM
Here's my experience with tomatoes:

Well the tomato clowns can get a little more aggressive than most Os or TP IMO. I started with one female that was 4-6 years old and she was a terror! She controlled everything in the tank without exception - coral placement, sand, aquascape . . . everything but the feeding! I added a juvenile that soon turned male after a month or two. Even then, the female mostly ignored the male and simple became more aggressive and controlling than before.

What's funny is that the male was the most calm and agreeable fish in my tank! If only my female was that way. A couple of weeks ago I downgraded my tank from a 30g long to a 24g aquapod. Unfortunately the female tomato was not going to have the change so I had to give her away. I was tempted to just keep him however I realized that he would change sex and become just as aggressive as the female. In the end I traded him in at my LFS to get some sweet zoas. Now I have a pair of O's in my tank and I absolutely LOVE them! These clowns have so much more personality to them . . . and they are so much nicer to the tank in general.

So my suggestion is to have a tank with PLENTY of space for this clown to live in. You can pair it with another juvenile (or clown that is no more than 1.5'') and they will develop a typical clownfish bond. Your clownfish do not need an anemone to live happy. In fact, they will be just fine if they find a spot they feel safe in. This is usually a rock cave or corner fo the tank. Mine were just fine without an anemone for about 6 months. (The funny thing is, my new O's don't even pay attention to the new anemone that I put into the tank . . . :rolleyes: )

Actually, if you ever want all you questions answered you should check out the book Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson. This is an awesome resource for clownfish information!

-Sevein
:strooper:

corbett_n
09/17/2007, 02:16 PM
thanks for the detailed answer

Lord Sevein
09/17/2007, 02:24 PM
You're welcome. Just happy to help!

-Sevein