PDA

View Full Version : Can an Octopus in sump skimmer's output be re-directed

marino420td
09/17/2007, 04:17 PM
I recently installed an Octopus 150 skimmer in my sump. Since the sump was designed with a center refuge and no skimmer, I had to install the skimmer in the center. Therefore it is after the bubble traps and micro bubbles are returning to my tank.

Can I install a 90 degree elbow to the output and have the skimmer dump into the input side of my sump (the right side in the picture where the filter sock is)?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/marino420td/65%20Gallon%20Reef/mini-IMG_8706.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/marino420td/65%20Gallon%20Reef/mini-IMG_8705.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/marino420td/65%20Gallon%20Reef/mini-IMG_8707.jpg

Bluesop7
09/17/2007, 04:21 PM
You should be able to do that without any problems. What would be best would be to go ahead and install a gate valve in the line so you can better fine tune the output. But if you dont want to install a gate valve be sure you can still adjust the riser pipe.

dhnguyen
09/17/2007, 04:38 PM
What size is that return pump? Oversized return pump is often the cause of micro bubbles

marino420td
09/17/2007, 06:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10785890#post10785890 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dhnguyen
What size is that return pump? Oversized return pump is often the cause of micro bubbles

It is a mag9 but I didn't have bubbles when the center section was used as a refuge. Just started when I installed the skimmer this weekend.

dhnguyen
09/17/2007, 06:21 PM
Your return pump is too much and not leaving enough time for the bubbles from the skimmer to dissipate on their own. That sump looks about 20-30G in size. What size in the display tank?

dhnguyen
09/17/2007, 06:23 PM
If that's your 65g tank and 20g sump I wouldn't use anything stronger than a MJ1200 as a return to be honest :)

marino420td
09/17/2007, 06:33 PM
The sump was not designed to incorporate a skimmer. It was designed with incoming water to the right, going through bubble trap to the center refugium then into the return section. No bubbles ever with this return pump.

Since the center was the only section large enough to house the skimmer, there are no bubble traps between the skimmer and the return section.

That's why I'm asking if I can modify the skimmer output so it dumps into the input section of the sump. Then the bubbles would go through the trap and work their way out before getting into the return section.

Racing1
09/17/2007, 06:33 PM
It looks like the skimmer is right next to the return pump causing the micro bubbles. I would do what Bluesop7 said. Put a 90 degree elbow and a gate valve and drain it back into the first sump department.

dhnguyen- Why do you always say a mag 9 is to big of a return pump on all the posts that people have one. You don't even check to see how far they are pumping. I have 1 on my 29 gallon with 10 gallon sump. I suppose that is too much for my system too. Only it is pumping up 8 ft plus elbows and turns. Headloss puts it at just about 410 GPH which is fine.

It does look like his is under his tank which is fine, but he has head loss also and the picture shows he has it dialed back. I would rather have too much pump than not enough. Most pumps will die sooner from having to push too hard than being dialed back a little.. Some of the better pumps draw even less amperage when dialed back without causing any ill effects on the pump...

just my .02 cents worth...

marino420td
09/17/2007, 06:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10786760#post10786760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Racing1
It looks like the skimmer is right next to the return pump causing the micro bubbles. I would do what Bluesop7 said. Put a 90 degree elbow and a gate valve and drain it back into the first sump department.

dhnguyen- Why do you always say a mag 9 is to big of a return pump on all the posts that people have one. You don't even check to see how far they are pumping. I have 1 on my 29 gallon with 10 gallon sump. I suppose that is too much for my system too. Only it is pumping up 8 ft plus elbows and turns. Headloss puts it at just about 410 GPH which is fine.

It does look like his is under his tank which is fine, but he has head loss also and the picture shows he has it dialed back. I would rather have too much pump than not enough. Most pumps will die sooner from having to push too hard than being dialed back a little.. Some of the better pumps draw even less amperage when dialed back without causing any ill effects on the pump...

The skimmer is right next to the return section. I think I will put an elbow on and dump it into the first compartment.

I do have my mag9 restricted a bit. I'm like you, I would much rather have too much pump than not enough.

dhnguyen
09/17/2007, 06:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10786760#post10786760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Racing1

Well like you said, the pics clearly shows that the sump is underneath the tank's stand. and a Mag9 IS too much for such a small sump and tank IME. Cut back on the return and don't be surprise to see the MB disappearing.

Fishbulb2
09/17/2007, 07:28 PM
Also, let the skimmer break in. You said you just installed it. Give it a few days and you'll be surprised how many of the micro bubbles will simply go away. It's the least drastic measure to start out with.

marino420td
09/17/2007, 08:00 PM
Good point. I just got it out of the box yesterday. I'll give it a few days and see how it does.

Bluesop7
09/17/2007, 10:44 PM
I also second waiting a couple days to see if the problem clears itself up. I dunno why the micro bubbles go away but for whatever reason they just do. Even if they do go away I would still recommend putting in the gate valve like I mentioned previously. It will make your life a whole lot easier when you need to adjust the skimmer.

marino420td
09/17/2007, 10:56 PM
Do you have any instructions on adding a gate valve to a skimmer?

dhnguyen
09/18/2007, 10:26 AM
FWIW... I have my return pump sitting right next to my skimmer as well and I do not have a MB issue... Never have.

Also contrary to popular beliefs, dialing down a pump doesn't necessarily make it last longer. Infact many pumps will actually run HOTTER when you restrict them.

Getting an oversized return pump only to dial it back down doesn't make much sense to me. That's a lot of added heat and electricity used for what?

But it is your tank so do with it as you will :)

dhnguyen
09/18/2007, 10:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10788808#post10788808 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marino420td
Do you have any instructions on adding a gate valve to a skimmer?

You add the gate valve at the output pipe of the skimmer. Good luck finding a gate valve that will perfectly fit that pipe though since it is metric. You might need to find a way to rig it so that it will fit.

Basically the gate valve will allow for better and more precise control of the water level within the skimmer by regulating the output.

Bluesop7
09/18/2007, 10:46 AM
As dhnguyen mentioned, the tough part about adding a gate valve is the whole metric issue (the riser pipe on the skimmer is metric and the gate valve will of course be standard US). One thing you can do is get a 90 elbow (slip x slip) that is close to the size of the riser pipe. Depending on how the elbow fits (to big or too small) you can do one of two things. Is the elbow is too small, grind out the inside of the elbow until it will slip over the riser pipe. If the elbow is too big, then you could wrap some teflon tape over the riser pipe until there is enough to get a snug fit with the elbow. But once you have the elbow on there just plumb the rest of it with parts from Home Depot or wherever along with the gate valve in line.