PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Ich issues?

jwb0126
09/17/2007, 05:54 PM
What's up guys.

I've got a Koran Angel with Ich and I'm thinking about setting up a QT tank so that I can get him out of the display reef and treat him with copper etc. I have an empty 10 gal and hardware to run it, but I've heard mixed answers as to whether or not I would have to cycle a hospital tank. Am I right in the fact that as long as I pull a little of the rock and sand out of my display and only use that cycled media in the QT that I could avoid having to wait on a full cycle?

Any other ideas???

Thanks guys

abugs1985
09/17/2007, 06:02 PM
It wouldn't be a great idea to rush the QT. A 10 gal tank is a little small for a QT but definitely get going on setting it up. If you put your sick fish in a newly established quaranteen tank without letting it cycle, you may be making a mistake. Put a little sand and LR in the QT from your main display but it still needs some time to run through a natural cycle.

When you make your salt water (if you don't already have it made up and ready to go) you'll want it to mix up for at least 24 hours. Aerate it with a powerhead with the air valve opened up, like on a maxijet if you have one. Don't just throw everything together and put the fish in, you may lose him! Which wouldn't be good!

It'd be better to make the the water and get that in tomorrow night with the LR and substrate from the main tank and then let it sit another day with a skimmer going. That would be the absolute fastest I'd recomend setting it up...two days, but I still think it could use more time. I, however, am picky and paranoid about little things so it's up to you. Good luck!

sruiz
09/17/2007, 06:07 PM
hyposalinity- worked for me. just make sure you understand how it works.

Lotus99
09/17/2007, 08:52 PM
Don't put sand in a hospital tank. It will mess with copper (if you use it) and act as a breeding ground for ich.

barbra
09/17/2007, 08:59 PM
Do not overlook garlic. I don't care what anybody's scientific claims are, garlic works, and it works well.

kau_cinta_ku
09/17/2007, 09:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10788008#post10788008 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by barbra
Do not overlook garlic. I don't care what anybody's scientific claims are, garlic works, and it works well.
garlic works by entising the fish to eat. thus having a better chance at fighting the ich off. but garlic will not kill ich.

hypo, copper, and tank transfer are the only proven methods to rid ich

barbra
09/17/2007, 09:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10788206#post10788206 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
garlic works by entising the fish to eat. thus having a better chance at fighting the ich off. but garlic will not kill ich.

That's just bull.

Freed
09/17/2007, 09:26 PM
:rolleye1:

pikachusalad
09/17/2007, 09:29 PM
I've been keeping a list of links - here are a couple that might help:

QT Article:
Talks about different options for setup and filtration, cycling or not, etc.
http://www.reefreaders.com/content/view/22/1/

ICH Article:
Talks about lifecycle, treatments that are effective (and ones that are less effective), myths, etc.
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html

markandkristen
09/17/2007, 09:29 PM
i can tell you that hypo would be better than copper when dealing with angels.

i have used garlic before for ich and had mixed results. i think its a hit or miss. ive seen ich get so rampid that garlic didnt cut it . i have delt with mild cases and beat it.

kau_cinta_ku
09/17/2007, 09:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10788235#post10788235 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by barbra
That's just bull.

well I will let you beleive what you want then. I am just staing facts.

barbra
09/17/2007, 09:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10788346#post10788346 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
well I will let you beleive what you want then. I am just staing facts.

You can update your facts here:

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/h_cortes-jorge.html

or here:

http://www.marineaquariumadvice.com/Saltwater-Ich-and-Garlic.htm

pikachusalad
09/17/2007, 10:08 PM
Both of those articles pretty much conclude that there is no scientific evidence - just anecdotal...and a lot of potential reasons for people having success... One suggests experimenting with only "lightly infected" fish... Both articles, and others, DO indicate that there is a lot of anecdotal evidence of garlic being an effective treatment.

TitusvileSurfer
09/17/2007, 10:22 PM
Isn't the point of a QT to put the fish in BEFORE you get ich in the sand and it spreads throughout your display? :idea:

Freed
09/17/2007, 10:46 PM
Titus- yes that is the best way to prevent infection of the main tank.

The author of the article in the second link from barbra states in his opinion that garlic might work on 50% of the cases of the light infestations and that only copper and hypo are scietifically proven to work. He also states that he himself would rather use a more reliable method to get rid of ich. HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

TitusvileSurfer
09/18/2007, 12:39 PM
The best cure is prevention. QT tanks are like Trojans, evolve already!