PDA

View Full Version : Baby Maroon clowns: 200-300 dead, 6 alive.

flamehawkfish
09/17/2007, 08:46 PM
hello All

I'm always hoping to get some advice on my feeble attempt to breed gold-rimmed Maroon Clownfish.

After stockpiling greenwater & rotifers, I gathered 200-400 larvae after a hatch in my brookstock tank. After 10 days, I have 6 larvae left. I made a couple key mistakes.

First, I never lowered the salinity. By the time I realized it, many larvae died. I lowered it from 1.026 to 1.021.

Even after salvaging 20-30 larvae, I introduced too many baby brine to the tank on Day 9. I tried to filter them out, but there were too many. I conducted a 30% water-change, and I think it was too much for the babies. Although Ammonia remained low, the water got cloudy. I'm guessing a Nitrite spike, but I didn't have test kit handy at the time.

Now, I'm on a biz-trip in Minneapolis, the tank- with 6 stressed-out larvae remaining- is left in my wife's hands. Oh, well. She can't do any worse than me!

The good news is that the parents laid new eggs a few days ago. On Wed-Thu, they'll hatch. I can try it all over again.

I'm frustrated, but my conviction remains.

Your advice? I'm always hopeful to hear advice from clownfish experts all over the world (Reefcentral is awesome).

Sincerely,

Flamehawk