PDA

View Full Version : Weird zooanthid issue

ellisz
09/18/2007, 04:39 AM
I seem to be having some zoo issues. The I am seeing the number of polyps reducing but the mat is still there. This allows you to see where they were. Has anyone seen this before?

I had an issues with a blue colony that had been relatively new but had been at the LFS for for over 2 weeks. After a week in my system, I noticed the polyps getting brown and closing up. Eventually they would start decomposing. This was evident by the smell of the rock after removing it from water. I tried treating this colony with Bifuran but this did not seem to help.

I am now not seeing the issues with the decomposing but polyps just seem to be disappearing. Some of my older and larger colonies open up just like always but just look thinner.

To makes things worse, I have pulled 3 nudibrachs from my system. They were not on zoos though. I had this problem a few years ago and I ended up removing every zoo from my system and QT'ing them in a separate system with frequent FW dips and I had a sixline wrasse in the system too. I did a FW dip on the zoos that were the same color of the nudibranch and a few of my nicer colonies as well. I did not get any nudi's off in the dip and I did not find any egg sacks.

2 nights ago I removed a nudi from the fold of a maxima clam shell and I noticed eggs there as well. This was the first time I have seen eggs laid somewhere else.

Any thoughts on what is going on? I do look for zoos at night with my blue lens flashlight but I have never seen any.

Thanks

beansandmia
09/18/2007, 10:40 AM
I hate Nudi branches! I had them once, I have heard of them laying eggs on rocks before.

650-IS350
09/18/2007, 10:46 AM
are you sure its not a flat worm of sort> since there are certain flatworms that DO eat clams...

ellisz
09/18/2007, 11:38 AM
My clams are fine. I sucked it out with a turkey baster and got a good look at it. It was definately a nudi. I had to remove the clam to get to the eggs too so I got a good look at them.

650-IS350
09/18/2007, 11:51 AM
http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=384

ellisz
09/18/2007, 12:17 PM
Yes it was a nudi. I have never seen spiders like that though ...

The part that gets me is the way that the zoos are sort of disappearing and matte is still there.

650-IS350
09/18/2007, 01:44 PM
I've had zoos decimated by rogue ampipods... lost several colonies within weeks.

Try checking at night with a red light a few hours after the lights have turned off. Most creatures wont get detured/see the red light... you might see a rogue crab/eunic worm/ large ampipods or some type of other hitchhicker taking out your zoos.

sometime alk/pH has a large effect on zoos...