PDA

View Full Version : Water Change methods....

Rockitmakr
09/18/2007, 05:12 AM
Not really a poll but I am looking for the most efficient way to do a water change WITHOUT draining the main display. I have read of a few different ways but they all drain the main tank down. I saw a post once about using cooler water to displace the warmer water over the overflow, no more than 2 degrees between.
Is there anyone out there in reefer world that has a really efficient way to change water without wasting any of the new water????
:beer:

JetCat USA
09/18/2007, 07:18 AM
if you don't want water displaced from the display it's best to have a container plumbed into the system such as another tank with nothing but water in it. when you're ready for a water change, close that system off completely from the circulation loop, drain and fill with new water of the proper salinity/temp/etc... and then allow it to circulate with the system again.

Rockitmakr
09/18/2007, 07:47 AM
I don't mind displacing water from the display but just want to be sure not to waste any of the new water being pumped in. I have been using the method described above (using cooler water...Learned from Calfo) but not sure if I am wasting water or not. I have seen incredible ideas here on RC just looking for another brilliant idea for changing water, that is all..

HighlandReef
09/18/2007, 08:06 AM
i mix my water in a 35 gallon brute plastic trash can, then just pump the old water out and pump the new water in.
i got the wheel kit for it and just drag it over to the tank.
i do 30 gallon water changes on my 210 in under 30 minutes and thats even with my slow @ss! :)

Rockitmakr
09/18/2007, 08:40 AM
There has to be other ideas......

8BALL_99
09/18/2007, 08:53 AM
Not really sure what your looking for.. If you don't want to drain water from the display and your wanting another way besides using cooler water causing the old warmer water to drain. The method Jetcat said is really about the only other way of doing it.. Its a very simple method.. We have one local reefer that does this with her two 600 gallon tanks.. She has a poly tank plumbed into the sump.. When she wants to do a water change she just cuts of the flow to the poly tank.. Drains X amount of gallons out of the Poly tank Via a ballvalve. Then fills it back up to the mark with NSW. Then Turns the pump back on. Very simple and if your looking at the displays you never know its going on..

commabc
09/18/2007, 08:53 AM
i dont think this is what your looking for...but for what its worth. i run a mag9 for a closed loop. i have a tee coming off one of those lines witch is plumbed through a wall into my utility room. once on the other side of the wall i have a ball valve that sticks out from the wall. when i need to do a water change i hook up a hose to the valve, turn it and let it drain into a sink. very simple concept, but it does drain the main tank down.

Rockitmakr
09/18/2007, 09:06 AM
8 Ball and Jet Cat.......
great idea! Just wish I had the room to put that idea into motion. I guess I will have to stick with the cooler water method, does anyone use this method?

labatt
09/19/2007, 09:07 AM
I don't mind displacing water from the display but just want to be sure not to waste any of the new water being pumped in. I have been using the method described above (using cooler water...Learned from Calfo) but not sure if I am wasting water or not
This (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php)article answers your questions on "wasting water". about 1/4 of the way down theres a nice chart. In a nut shell as long as the water you are changing is mixing its a trivial amount.

labatt
09/19/2007, 09:09 AM
Changes
(percent x number)
Initial Impurities Removed (percent)
Initial Impurities Remaining (percent)

continuous

0.25 x 120

0.5 x 60

1 x 30

2 x 15

3 x 10

5 x 6

6 x 5

10 x 3

15 x 2

30 x 1

the chart doesnt paste well, but you can sort of make sense of it.

JetCat USA
09/19/2007, 09:23 AM
I believe what was meant by 'Wasting Water' is that the new water has the possibility to mix with the water that is being drained from the tank and therefor new water is being removed rather then completely replacing old water from the system. turning off all pumps and using a cooler water so it sinks when it enters the display is perceived to remedy this wasteing........

I've never employed that version of water change on a marine tank but i did have my African Cichlid tank setup so my RO units waste water line was fed to their tank and any excessive water overflowed from the tank down a drain, it kept the water very hard like they like it and kept NO3/PO4 to a minimal as well so the method does work to lower levels regardless of if it wastes the new water or not.......

Donw
09/19/2007, 10:11 AM
Ive used the overflowing method for a long time and it works well. I only changed 5g per day so a 43g can last 8 days and with a simple single shot salt hopper that is easily doubled.

Don

Rockitmakr
09/19/2007, 02:43 PM
Well,
for now I am using the overflow method & it seems to be working fine, Just looking for other options.
Thanks to all that have givin their input here.

uscgbeachbum
09/19/2007, 04:29 PM
Assuming you have a sump large enough you can just shut off your auto top off and pump the water out of your sump. If you have enough volume you don't even need to turn off any pumps. After you've removed however much water you want just fill your sump with new water.