PDA

View Full Version : 45g Wrasse Suggestions

PhilliePhil
09/18/2007, 09:36 AM
Ok, I have a 45 corner tank that I got from a friend for a great deal. I was also able to use about 20 gallons of water from their tank and it came with live rock, sand, etc. Basically, a cycle-less setup for a great deal.

It also came with a maroon clown that I will keep, not exactly sure if I am going to pair it up or not, thats for a later discussion.

I have asked on here about a couple angels and I was told that they wouldn't mix too well with the maroon most likely so I am going to go a different route.

I would ideally like a wrasse of some type that is reef safe and eats some algae. I saw one at a fish store locally and he ate hair algae...although I am not exactly sure he was a wrasse. He looked like a mix between a six line and a goby and I cannot for the life of me remember its name.

I am very much open to suggestions and this tank will be a reef tank eventually, so please keep that in mind. Thank you!

Surfzone
09/18/2007, 10:45 AM
If it is reef safe wrasses that you are after then try the 6line, and most flasher and fairys

deklin
09/18/2007, 12:53 PM
Wrasses will not eat algae. Species like the flasher and faries are zooplankton eaters and eat out of the water column. Others like the sixline will scavenge the rocks for copepods and other small crustaceans.

If you're set on a something that will eat some algae, why don't you look at a blenny. A lawnmower blenny in particular will put a dent in any hair algae you have. What you saw at the LFS may have been a blenny.

PhilliePhil
09/18/2007, 02:09 PM
Thank you surfzone and deklin for your responses.

Deklin, I found out after posting here and then searching for about 15 minutes (go figure) and it was a "rainfordi's or court jester" goby and there are differing reports on wether or not it eats algae.

I cannot seem to find if this goby will peacefully co-exist with a yellow clown goby. Do you have any idea if it would or not?

I am considering a blenny, but I think I will just use a clean-up crew to handle my algae issues. I really like the scooter blennies (even though I've read where they are technically dragonettes), but I also want to wait until my tank is more established.

Shoreliner11
09/18/2007, 08:07 PM
You shouldn't have any issues with a rainfordi's goby getting along with a clown goby. IME with gobies, body shape is one of the biggest factors in determining if you'll have territorial issues. The clown gobies are quite squat little guys and the rainfordi's from what I've heard are not very aggressive compared to some gobies.

Aaron