PDA

View Full Version : Need help with plumbing a new 180g?

gsumner2
09/18/2007, 06:19 PM
I would like to know what is the best size of pvc pipe to go from my overflow drain (1.5") under the crawlspace 14' to the 100g sump (stock tank) in the garage. Also, what return pump would be best considering the distance of sump in garage?? The tank measure 65x18x31 - top of tank is about 5 ft. I want to keep sps corals so have a CL with 4way Oceans Motion under the stand with the Sequence Dart pump also in the garage. Since tank is in our small TV family room, we didn't want noise from the tank if at all possible.

Could someone share a similar plumbing setup with me?

poppin_fresh
09/18/2007, 07:34 PM
I think running the 1.5" all the way will be fine. Because you are going to have a CL, you wont need to move a lot of flow through the sump. I would buy a pump that would move something in the 500 gph range or a little less after head loss. The slower you keep it the quieter it will be and the better your filtration can work.

There is a headloss calculator on the main page of RC that can help pick a pump. Just input your plumbing setup and pick a pump. From there, you can see what it will move for water.

gsumner2
09/21/2007, 10:17 AM
1.5" is what I'll run. I bought a Dart Snapper that can be throttled down if need be for the return pump.
Thanks for your help.