PDA

View Full Version : New 180g setup - some probs - heat - still in cycle

BreefMe
09/19/2007, 09:42 AM
I want to keep this brief because I know a long post is not the answer.

Currently tank is in cycle. 2 + " Aragonite Sand bed - 1 - 2 mm grain size - 60 lbs super live sand - 160 lbs raw Aragonite.

Marco Rocks - beauties.

Amonia at 4 - so we are still in the beginning. Current life forms - 1 brave snail.

I have noticed that with no heater on, my tank can go to 84 degrees at times. It is in family room in air conditioned environ.

I have a reeflo Dart (CL) and a Gen-x 55 (OL - sump). I think a lot of my heat is coming from the pumps; surely some from the light (1200W) too, but I think that is not the real cause because the temp. does not drop much at night 2 degrees max.

I put a fan in the stand last night thinking that air circulation was my answer - it had little effect. I did not direct the air flow on a water surface; I just wanted to evacuate warm air from the cabinet.

Help with suggestions, Please.....Thanks a bunch.

NitroJunkie
09/19/2007, 10:13 AM
is the tank getting any direct sunlight ? that will heat it up also. May need to get a chiller

BreefMe
09/19/2007, 10:34 AM
No direct sunlight. I may be forced to re-route the pumps into my basement as a potential solution; also will eliminate noise.

I will increase head by about 2 and a half to 3 feet if I do it right and I do not think this will effect much because right now my pumps are kickin'.

BreefMe
09/19/2007, 12:05 PM
Bump. Any other ideas?

BreefMe
09/19/2007, 01:30 PM
Bump. Any other ideas? I really would like to avoid a chiller, if possible. They are not cheap.

LobsterOfJustice
09/19/2007, 01:37 PM
It's the lights. The reason the temp isnt dropping at night is that water retains heat very well. Get some fans in the hood with the lights, and some aiming at the water in the sump. I have a Genx 55 and 40 on my system along with 895 watts of light on 150 total gallons of water. I have a fan in the canopy, a fan over the sump, and a fan over the frag tank, which kick on when the temp rises above 80. As long as my AC is set to 72-74, my tank never gets over 81. Point the fans at the surface of the water in the sump to encourage evaporative cooling. In the canopy, evacuate the hot air.

BreefMe
09/19/2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks