PDA

View Full Version : Black rain

Mr.Limpet
09/19/2007, 10:41 PM
I have a 150 gallon reef that is about 8 months old. I thought that I would run some carbon to clean up the tank. I thoroughly rinsed the carbon and placed it in a mesh bag and hooked it up to the return from the overflow in my sump. The next day everything in my tank had a coating of black particles! I figured maybe the flow from the overflow was too strong and it pulverized the carbon.

Anyone have any ideas how to get rid of the stuff? I've taken out the carbon and placed a felt filter bag to catch the floating stuff. My fish and corals look fine but the stuff is coating my live rock. Any alternatives to taking everything out and scrubbing it?

wrott
09/19/2007, 10:57 PM
I would blow it off w/ a PH every couple of days, and after a week or 2 I'll bet you will not notice it. But I don't know how bad it is--just a thought.

frederickk
09/20/2007, 11:49 AM
It will go awaythere is always a little balck dust even when you rinse it well.

filmoholic
09/20/2007, 12:07 PM
I have done this same thing. Infact my yellow tang sleeps under my phosban reactor and he was coverd in it. it did go away with out harming any of my coral.Should be ok.

Mr.Limpet
09/20/2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll use my MJ Mod to try to blow the stuff off - kind of like an underwater leaf blower, then my filter sock can catch it.

joeychitwood
09/21/2007, 09:52 AM
I use Kent Marine Reef Carbon because of the large cylindrical particle size. No more carbon bits all over the tank.