PDA

View Full Version : Flow Recommendations?

jallen18
09/20/2007, 10:02 AM
Please excuse my hasty mspaint skills!

http://www.zoxbox.net/images/flow.jpg

As you can see, I have a 75g RR tank, with a Koralia 2 (typo on image), a Maxijet 600, and the return outputs, powered by a quiet one 3000 with around 4ft of head.

I am trying to maximize my circulation, and eliminate dead spots, without creating moon craters and sand storms, but I'm not having much luck. If anyone has similar equipment, could you advise me of my best setup with this, or let me know if I need to add more!

Thanks!

cd77
09/20/2007, 10:08 AM
I have a very similar setup -- with the overflow and return in the same place, and a Koralia 3 in the exact same spot -- I also have two aquaclears in the back with hydor attachments (in a weak attempt to get more water flow through the LR) , and a koralia 1 on the left hand side -- it's still not enough flow I don't think. I'm still battling diatoms after 6 weeks (ok, so it hasn't been forever) but I'm thinking about upgrading my Koralia 1 on the left hand side to another Koralia 3 and removing the aquaclears.

I'm very anxious to hear how others will respond to your question!

Dr Begalke
09/20/2007, 10:18 AM
i would try and arrange the powerhead so they all go in a circular direction... in other words, point the returns on the back left of the tank so they aim straight to the right along the back, then the MJ at the back right to point straight to the front, then the koralia at the front right to point to the left along the front of the tank.. i did this on my 55g with mjs and got much more flow that way. just an idea.

alternative woudl be to buy another koralia...

jallen18
09/20/2007, 10:18 AM
Chris, do you get small whirlpool spots on top of the sand where excrement/diatoms build up? Mine are directly under the Koralia, and in the bottom left in front of the lower overflow intakes.

cd77
09/20/2007, 10:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10805808#post10805808 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jallen18
Chris, do you get small whirlpool spots on top of the sand where excrement/diatoms build up? Mine are directly under the Koralia, and in the bottom left in front of the lower overflow intakes.

No whirlpools, but way too much sand disturbance in the back. I left a couple of inches behind the LR for cleaning and to allow critters to hide. There are no diatoms in the back of the tank, but the sand bed is all messed up (not uniform at all) , and I think it is because of the Hydor attachments which is why I want to get them out of there. That is why I think I have a flow issue more than anything else..

I may end up trying Dr Begalke's suggestion, but the problem is that those Koralias are massive for a 70/75 gallon tank and when placed in the front they really take a lot away from the tank. If you put them up high it isn't as bad, but I honestly don't know.. maybe three Koralia 2's in Begalke's setup would work..

I'm just debating right now whether or not to purchase additional Koralias. I know for sure I want the aquaclears out of there, I'm just waiting to hear what other people with similar setups have gotten to work. Let me know if you find a solution, and I'll do the same -- For now though I'm letting my pocket book recover a little bit :)

jallen18
09/20/2007, 10:36 AM
That is a good idea with the circular flow pattern, I may try that since it will be really easy to do. Thanks to both of you for your suggestions!

RBCJay
09/20/2007, 11:51 AM
Just try to get a good flow pattern that takes care of any dead spots.
Sand tends to get "heavier" as the tank matures. I know you don't want bare spots or huge sand mountains either but some small dunes look more natural in a reef tank to me. If you have enough flow to do the job it is very hard to not some sand movement going on.
Jay

hyperfocal
09/20/2007, 02:34 PM
I have two Koralia 3s in my tank. I found that putting one on each side (rather than on the back of the tank), moving them down to more of the middle of the tank and pointing them "upwards" at ~45 degrees really helped get the water moving.

cd77
09/20/2007, 02:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10807555#post10807555 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hyperfocal
I have two Koralia 3s in my tank. I found that putting one on each side (rather than on the back of the tank), moving them down to more of the middle of the tank and pointing them "upwards" at ~45 degrees really helped get the water moving.

I like that idea. Do you mind if I ask how deep your sand bed is?

hyperfocal
09/20/2007, 03:53 PM
About 1.5", give or take.

cd77
09/20/2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks -- I'm a little leery about doing this with a 6" sand bed..

Reefer07
09/20/2007, 04:50 PM
Ok this isn't related to this specific topic but would one powerhead and a HOB filter on a 10 gallon be sufficient enough circulation?

cd77
09/20/2007, 04:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10808511#post10808511 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefer07
Ok this isn't related to this specific topic but would one powerhead and a HOB filter on a 10 gallon be sufficient enough circulation?

Sounds like my quarantine tank. I assume since we're talking about flow that you have a 10gal FOWLR or Reef -- so no in my opinion, but I guess it depends upon how powerful your HOB filter, and I guess you could factor in the pump for your HOB skimmer too.

rbtwo4
09/20/2007, 05:46 PM
What I have and it seems to work is 2 mj900's with this rotating thing forgot what its called but dr.fosters sells it I have those 1 on each side facing eachother then I have 2 mj1200's in the back one facing up at the water and the other a few inches lower on the other side facing the other mj. Haven't had any issues.

dhnguyen
09/20/2007, 05:49 PM
"rotating thing" is a Hydor Flow Deflector. Don't waste your money on it. It will work for a few months and then stop rotating. Once the gears are stripped inside, they will never work again either.

cd77
09/20/2007, 07:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10808897#post10808897 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rbtwo4
What I have and it seems to work is 2 mj900's with this rotating thing forgot what its called but dr.fosters sells it I have those 1 on each side facing eachother then I have 2 mj1200's in the back one facing up at the water and the other a few inches lower on the other side facing the other mj. Haven't had any issues.

Yep, sounds like the Hydor FLO. Two year mfgr warranty and cheap as dirt. You just don't want to go over 300GPH with those. My FW Hydor has been working perfectly for well over 3 months.