PDA

View Full Version : adding anthias, dwarf angelfish, and maybe eventually a copperband

ryanpal
09/20/2007, 11:58 AM
hey guys...my current reef tank has the following:

razor barred goby
2 clown percs
1 yellow watchman
1 damsel
1 pseudochromis dottyback
1 yellow longnose butterfly

im looking to add in very colorful fish. i believe the next fish will be a blue powder tang. (last onje died the next day after being s hipped overnight)

after looking at liveaquaria i like the colors of the Bimaculatus Anthias, the dwarf angelfish, and especially the copperband butterfly.

i understand the copperband is difficult to keep so i wouldnt add him until the way future. but the anthias and the dwarf angels i would like to add in if they would be compatible.

would these guys be ok additions or would they fight with the other fish...eat the coral etc.?

my taste varies so much that i can't seem to have everything i want in one tank :mad:

harryk
09/20/2007, 12:02 PM
First off how big is your tank?? Next Butterfly's are generally not reef safe and harder to keep. the other choices seem ok

Travis L. Stevens
09/20/2007, 12:03 PM
There are a few things going on here that could be problematic.

1) Damsels and Pseudochromis are very territorial, especially to new arrivals

2) Powder Blues Tangs are notoriously difficult to care for. I suggest finding a different tang, or pick up a healthy specimen locally and not shipped to you.

3) Anthias can be difficult to get to eat. Once they do, they are typically model citizens and stay very healthy. May have problems with the Pseudochromis

4) Centropyge angelfish are known for aggression to similar shaped fish and those of their own genus. In addition, they are known for nipping at clam mantles and corals. Some species more than others.

5) The new Copperbanded Butterfly and Yellow Longnose Butterfly will most likely fight. Both of these fish are difficult to get to eat. Of course, I think you must have succeeded with your longnose :thumbsup:

Hope that helps

ryanpal
09/20/2007, 12:04 PM
150 gal.

yeah i know the longnose butterfly is a 50/50 shot...so far he just eats off the liverock and has been ok (with the exception of picking at my one green tree that i put in there..he didnt eat it..seemed like he did it just to spite me hehe)

ryanpal
09/20/2007, 12:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10806461#post10806461 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Travis L. Stevens
There are a few things going on here that could be problematic.

1) Damsels and Pseudochromis are very territorial, especially to new arrivals

2) Powder Blues Tangs are notoriously difficult to care for. I suggest finding a different tang, or pick up a healthy specimen locally and not shipped to you.

3) Anthias can be difficult to get to eat. Once they do, they are typically model citizens and stay very healthy. May have problems with the Pseudochromis

4) Centropyge angelfish are known for aggression to similar shaped fish and those of their own genus. In addition, they are known for nipping at clam mantles and corals. Some species more than others.

5) The new Copperbanded Butterfly and Yellow Longnose Butterfly will most likely fight. Both of these fish are difficult to get to eat. Of course, I think you must have succeeded with your longnose :thumbsup:

Hope that helps

1. yes i can tell this...they are littel fiesty guys and i love it. they are pretty small so they have been ok so far.

2. yeah its a shame becuase i was going to go the hippo tang route and decided to try the pbt becuase of its colors. im debating having another one shipped once my water levels are 100%

3. looks like they might be the next addition ;]

4. damn...i want to add a clam in too so guess thats outa the question for now.

5. guess i'll need a 2nd tank ;]. the longnose is a maniac, always swimming around nonstop. he goes at his own clock too. when the lghts turn off hte clowns go to sleep..this guy goes to sleep and wakes up on his own schedule. i bought from the LFS and he really didnt have an issue with eating. guess i lucked out ;]

filmoholic
09/20/2007, 12:09 PM
A Sixline is a good.

ryanpal
09/20/2007, 12:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10806510#post10806510 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by filmoholic
A Sixline is a good.

sixline? is this a type of fish or something?

Travis L. Stevens
09/20/2007, 12:24 PM
Six Line Wrasse :)