PDA

View Full Version : Brown algea

God of thunder
09/20/2007, 01:14 PM
Hi everybody.

Ny tank´s been running now for 9 months, but recently að brown algea is forming on my sandbed, my water quality is good, what could this be?

CoppBandbuttfly
09/20/2007, 01:21 PM
My tank is 3 months old and I have the same situation. Lots of brown algae on sand bed as well as on the glass. I was told this is normal during cycling when a tank is being setup.

Jeff
09/20/2007, 01:21 PM
Most likely diatoms. It is normal with a new tank to have a few weeks of this. it is one of the stages of setting up a tank i have found. Increase flow and decrease feeds to help it along.

God of thunder
09/20/2007, 01:27 PM
My tanks 9 months old. i had the same problem that Copperbandbutterfly is having now around that time, i jusat don´t unfderstand why it´s happening again, any comment are appriciated. Copperbandbutterfly, what kind of light do you have?

150fowlr
09/20/2007, 03:00 PM
Could happen to newly setup tanks. But more then likely it can be cyanobacteria. Would be unsure without pictures, but if its brown and is on sandbed, rocks and glass to more then likely cyanobacetria. Its caused by too high of phosphates in water, overfeeding, poor skimming, excess lighting time etc... check your water paremeteres, if feed everyday can feed every other day with no ill effects etc.. Hope this helps. If you dont have already, nassarius snails are good at keeping your sand bed clean and well aerated and cleans the glass.

harryk
09/20/2007, 04:38 PM
Diatoms normally happen to a new tank, but they can happen at any time. It's a normal occurance. Try and lower your phosphates and do some water changes. I second the Nassarius snails. they do a great job of keeping the sand bed clean

cd77
09/20/2007, 05:07 PM
Sounds like diatoms. Same issue here, on a 6 week old tank. Seems to have gotten slightly better in areas with higher water flow, but I plan to test my saltwater mixes (which I generally mix first, aerate, then store in 5 gallon buckets for about a week) for nitrates, phosphates, and silicates to make sure I'm not introducing them with my water changes. Cutting lighting, and reducing feeding also helps with algae control.

Since your tank is nine months old, I would imagine something has changed recently to cause the bloom. New salt brand, more fish, overfeeding, reduced flow, etc.. (?)

Mavrk
09/20/2007, 06:45 PM
Are you making your own RO/DI water? If so, check the TDS. Perhaps you need to change your cartridges.

macronut
09/20/2007, 07:37 PM
lighting changes/shifts/old bulbs needing replaced can cause algae blooms too.

Mavrk
09/21/2007, 12:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10809742#post10809742 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by macronut
lighting changes/shifts/old bulbs needing replaced can cause algae blooms too.

Yeah, this was going to be the next thing I was going to say.

CoppBandbuttfly
09/24/2007, 10:25 AM
God of Thunder,

I use Coral light-the one with both white and blue bulbs, plus lunar light. I turn on my light about 5 hours a day on average.

I cleaned my tank(glass) and shuffle the sand two days ago and I see the brown algae is coming back on the sand already! It's very frustrated. I test my ph it's at 8.2. My fishes are Copperband, 3 chromis, 1 dottyback, 1 zebra goby and 1 chalk basslet. They are all doing fine. I feed 3 times a day with flake and brine shrimp. Is that too many times and casued the brown algae? My fishes are always hungry even with 3 feeding.

I top off around 1.5 gallons/day with RI water.

Any more ideas to help reduce the brown algae are appreciated.

Mavrk
09/24/2007, 10:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10831721#post10831721 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CoppBandbuttfly
I feed 3 times a day with flake and brine shrimp. Is that too many times and casued the brown algae? My fishes are always hungry even with 3 feeding.

You are overfeeding. Fish will always eat, so they seem to always be hungry. Feed once daily or even every other day.