PDA

View Full Version : how many cans of spray foam will i need?

mrpet
09/20/2007, 03:26 PM
tank is 72"x"48x"25 i want to spray the back and the sides so how many cans do you think i will need? also does anyone know where to get the best deal on that stuff? and what do you recomend i cover the front of the tank with? tank is plexi was thinking blue painters tape and cardboard? any other advice on how to use that stuff would be great...thanks

mrpet
09/20/2007, 03:53 PM
come on guys little help...

mflamb
09/20/2007, 04:58 PM
I used 12 cans on a 96x31 back with 3 overflow boxes.

mrpet
09/20/2007, 05:19 PM
thanks mfamb where did you buy them? im going to need a little more i think 168" by 25" all the way around guess i will get 24
cans?

mrpet
09/20/2007, 05:29 PM
hey mfamb i was looking at your bulid really nice by the way is there a reason why you put your om at the top of the aq insted of right above the pump? just curious?

mflamb
09/20/2007, 07:36 PM
I got the foam from Drs. Fosters and Smith.
Two reasons for the OM's being at the top, less friction, therefor more flow, and much easier to plumb that way, since all my tank returns are at the top of the tank.

mrpet
09/20/2007, 08:57 PM
THANKS MFLAMB

Elliott
09/20/2007, 09:15 PM
I used 14 cans on my 300g back wall, 8' x 30" including corner overflows on each end. I cut 1/8" acrylic panels that fit through the top openings of the tank. I foamed each acrylic panel then spot glued them to the back wall. I cut them so there they were about an inch short all the way around, then I foamed in that space to hold them in place. This way they will not peel away and float, as the foam is very buoyant. Also, when I sell the tank it can be removed easily, and I didn't have to turn the tank on it's side. Make sure you were latex gloves, that stuff is very sticky. Also, don't let it cure in direct sun, it turns grey and then white!

The best price I found was here:

www.foampower.com

ReefDoctorMicromussas
09/21/2007, 07:45 AM
I used about 16 cans by the time I was finished on my 400gal 96"
I got mine from Dr. fosters also

I also then mixed some sand, Crushed up bunches of shells and coral rubble... covered the cured foam in a black two part epoxy and while it was all still wet I sprinkeled the sand, coral, shells into the walls :) makes for a real nice effect as the corralline starts covering it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/doctor64776/DSC05725.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/doctor64776/DSC05723.jpg

HumanIMDB
09/21/2007, 09:24 AM
I'm considering doing this to the back of my AGA 92 Corner...does anyone have any pictures of the the affect after time? (i.e. when it's not shiny black but covered with coraline?)

Elliott
09/21/2007, 09:39 AM
takes approximately 4-6 months for a newly established tank and really blends in nicely with the real rock

SaraB
09/21/2007, 01:15 PM
I went through 11 cans of foam on the back only of a 72x30 inch acrylic tank with one center overflow. I also created ledges on the back wall for SPS corals to be mounted to ... so I used more than the others. I'm also a girl and was very picky on how it all blended together to make sure it didn't look like dog turds on the back of my wall. I covered my non-foam areas with newspaper and painters tape. You will be fine using cardboard and painters tape.

I got my foam from Drs. Foster and Smith as well: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9232&Ntt=foam&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=62728&Nty=1

HumanIMDB - I would test an area first on a glass tank to see how it sticks. I have personally only seen it done on Acrylic tanks ... unless someone else here can chime in.

EDIT - There's a couple photo's on my tank on Page 35 of this thread: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=522988&perpage=25&pagenumber=35

ReefDoctorMicromussas
09/21/2007, 01:35 PM
Sara WOW the tank looks great :) A hahahah I see that you did not heed the "MUST wear gloves advice" LOL

SaraB
09/21/2007, 01:37 PM
YES, Heed all warnings and wear proper fitting gloves! You will be unhappy for days if you don't wear the gloves!!!

HumanIMDB
09/21/2007, 01:48 PM
Cool...thanks for the information and pics.

I'm just worried I will end up with a tank that looks like something from H. R. Giger.

So far, doctor64776's method results in the most natural looking effect.

mflamb
09/21/2007, 07:43 PM
The foam DOES NOT STICK TO GLASS. I have 3 overflow boxes and 2 of us did the whole back of the tank in about 20 minutes, so the foam expanded and is "wedged" in place.

rlxwcapt
09/22/2007, 02:49 PM
I did this twice to my glass tank. I recommend you put LR in the foam to create ledges. It looks great after 4 to 6 months. it is great stuff when you are done.

BC Sparky
09/22/2007, 07:12 PM
So it does stick to glass????

I wouldn't mind doing this to my end walls- I have a glass tank with acrylic overflow boxes on both ends.

mflamb
09/22/2007, 07:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10822506#post10822506 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BC Sparky
So it does stick to glass????

I wouldn't mind doing this to my end walls- I have a glass tank with acrylic overflow boxes on both ends.
No, it has to have some way to "wedge" itself in.

H2OLUVSME
09/28/2007, 09:21 AM
You can also use some silicone attached to the glass before spraying it. That will give it somehting that it can adhere to.

Ive never used it in a reef tank, but Ive done all kinds of stuff with it in vivariums like build rivers, water fallls, planters, and cliffs.

I think adding rocks to it will give it a better effect. I also think it can be used to hide cords and outflows if planned proerly.

One other idea Ive had is to silicone rubble and CC or sand to it after it cures. This would make it look like the face of a drop off. With your rock work tied into it, it could have a great amount of depth and detial.

Here are a link to a vivarium I used it in covered with susbtrate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/Tropical%20Paradise/2005-08-30009.jpg

That water fall on the right and the river were molded out of foam and covered with stone. The sides and back of the tank were also sprayed, then I modled in the planters and stuck wood in there for added effect. It was then all coverd with silicone and peat moss. All the cord and tubes for the pumps are embedded in the foam.

Oh and to answer the orginal question, I sprayed 4 cans in to the 29 gallons sides and back which is a lot smaller than your area :p

mrpet
09/29/2007, 11:12 AM
thanks everyone i ordered the foam a few days ago 20 cans hope that covers it. sara the tank is plexi so should stick no problem. what do u guys think about glueing plexi in the shape of shelfs on the back or sides then covering it with the foam? also i too do not want the dog poop look so was thinking of a puddy knife to give the foam shape will i have time to do this or will the foam set to fast?

ReefDoctorMicromussas
09/29/2007, 11:47 AM
You can cut up the Heavy Duty trash bags... once the foam is in place you can press the sheet of plastic from the bag against it and it will mold that way... also for about 3 minutes or so it will be like foamy clay so you can build just about anything just remember to add sand to get the texured rock look the plexigass sheleves will only bee needed if you want ledges bigger than about 3-4 inches under that they foam itself wil make great ledges wherever you mold them

mrpet
10/01/2007, 11:41 PM
thanks doc...