PDA

View Full Version : Should an external pump be as loud as a can opener

jmccown
09/20/2007, 03:54 PM
I've never owned/used one. I bought a used one from a guy locally and he says they do have a hum, but this thing sounds like a can opener. It's an Iwaki RXT30.

Mark75
09/20/2007, 03:58 PM
That brand has a reputation for being loud, as loud as a can opener seems extreme though? Check that it is not vibrating against anything and that nothing such as sand is in the impeller.

jmccown
09/20/2007, 04:39 PM
What is the quietest brand of pump?

oct2274
09/20/2007, 06:40 PM
depend on what you are going to use the pump for........return, closed loop, other? Then tell use which size of tank it is for. The quietest and most energy efficient large external pumps are the sequence reeflo pumps

pjf
09/20/2007, 06:46 PM
The review section of Reef Central contains reviews of the Blueline and Panworld pumps that are reputedly quieter than their equivalent Iwaki pumps. The Blueline and Panworld external pumps are designed by a former chief designer from Iwaki.

I have an Iwaki MD-30RLXT and it is audible but not bothersome because it is at the entry of my house and not the living room. I believe that I posted a picture of it on another thread that you started (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1209218&highlight=hard). I am considering replacing it with a quieter Iwaki MD-20RLXT but I haven't yet found powerheads to make up the loss in flow.

jmccown
09/21/2007, 11:46 AM
My tank is 380g with 75g sump. I am using it as a return only. I was using a 2500gph submersible but it was putting off too much heat and raising the temp to 83-84 degrees. With the submersible I had to cut the flow way down. I believe it filters better if the flow is less on the return. I run two Seio 2600's inside the tank so flow isn't a problem. The Iwaki is around 1100gph, I think it has worked out good flow-wise for a return.