PDA

View Full Version : C-SEA monthly meeting programs

Bowman
01/20/2004, 09:19 PM
Hello all fellow C-SEA members, We are looking for input for monthly meeting speakers and programs. Please send us your thoughts so we can try to present programs that are of interest to our members. All thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated as we don't know what is of interest if you don't tell us. Look forward to hearing your input. Thanks

Rhodophyta
01/21/2004, 06:11 AM
You might look over this list of speakers sponsored by Marineland. Marineland will subsidize the cost of one speaker on this list per club - per year, but clubs can use more than one speaker a year if they want. The second and third, etc. don't get the subsidy. It would be smart to pikc a month when we are likely to surpass 100 at the meeting since the subsidy increases at that level.

http://www.marineland.com/speakers_index.asp

You can also find lists of speakers at recent past and current marine aquarium conferences. Such as:

http://www.theimac.org/jbrandt.htm There is a list of speakers at the bottom of this bio to click on more examples.

I would like to see summer meetings. The other marine clubs in the area meet through the summer. Before, we had a meeting place that was not available in the summer (Sea World and Baldwin-Wallace College), but at the zoo there is no such problem. If we meet 12 months a year, we could have two frag workshops, about six months apart, say September and March. Twelve month clubs have more steady attendance and summer meetings are often well attended.

We moved the monthly meeting to Friday because of several considerations, one was that we could more easily share a speaker (and split the costs) with one or both nearby marine clubs, in Detroit and Pittsburg, if we hosted the speaker on Friday and then they had them on their normal Saturday or Sunday meetings. We could keep in touch with their program chairmen to see if that deal could be worked out in advance.

Burgman
01/21/2004, 03:35 PM
Hi All,

How about some of the members talking about their tanks or reef projects. I know I have learned a lot from talking with fellow Csea members on a variety of subjects. Could we get some equipment manufactures to talk about some of their new products? How about area reef clubs(Michigan/PA/Indiana) talking about what their clubs are about? Should our club be looking into reef education programs for local schools? How about partnering with local manufactures(ie:Aquarium Systems,URI) to gauge new products from a consumer view point.

Dave

Rhodophyta
02/05/2004, 05:19 PM
Well Dave, it looks like John Janda reacted pretty quickly to your suggestions. John announced at the CAS meeting that C-SEA will have a Reef/Marine Aquarium Round Table Friday, February 20.

Round Tables can be the best of meetings or a low. I don’t think I can come up with a formula to guarantee a perfect round table, but I have seen a bunch of them over the years. Most of the successful ones had these common threads: 1. The “round table” format was actually used. Chairs were arranged in a full or semi circle one or two rows deep. Line arrangements tend to break off into independant talks or subgroups. 2. They were prepared for but not planned. By that I mean the officers had thought out in advance how to present and moderate a Round Table, but they were not scheduled in advance very far. In effect they only happened when the speaker had a last minute cancellation and the Round Table was the backup. 3. It had been at least a couple years since the last Round Table. I remember one that was really great and everyone was really energized after the meeting. It was the best club meeting ever in everybody’s opinion. It was enjoyed so much that everyone wanted to do it again, so a round table for planned for a meeting a few months away. Let’s just say it did not go over as well.

I’ll skip some of your other ideas since they really deserve their own thread. I hope you post them separately. C-SEA has had a number of manufacturers present their company’s newest products and explain their long term winning items. On that first link I gave, Tim Hovanek is listed and he can speak about MarineLand. SeaChem also gave a program recently in the Akron area. We have also had SeaWorld supply us with great speakers. For a while we had members share an idea or project of theirs for a ten or fifteen minute minipresentation. It was well received, but since some speakers have fairly long programs it should probably be planned for only the shorter main presentations. You have great ideas, Dave!

djcool563
03/02/2004, 08:13 PM
the liquidlife have speakers avalible ithink it may just be em but i would like to hear more about it please tell me if it is not interesting to tother people

Rhodophyta
06/22/2004, 03:29 PM
Here are the current LiquidLife presentations:

http://www.liquidlifeusa.com/Presentations/Presentations.html

I understand they would probably bring some donations for the raffle. It might justify a July or August meeting if there is enough interest.

Kreeger1
10/30/2004, 08:20 AM
Whats the chance of getting Steve Tyree in again to speak? I'll look up if he's got a new presentation going.
Erik
Part 1 - Farming Stony Corals in Captivity
Part 2 - Current Trends in Keeping Reef Building Stony Corals in Captivity
I think that would be a great meeting
Erik

Steven Pro
10/30/2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by eriksmacks
Whats the chance of getting Steve Tyree in again to speak? I'll look up if he's got a new presentation going.
Erik
Part 1 - Farming Stony Corals in Captivity
Part 2 - Current Trends in Keeping Reef Building Stony Corals in Captivity
I think that would be a great meeting
Erik

Steve Tyree is one of the speakers at this year's coming NEOMAC,
http://www.c-sea.org/events/neomac.html
Along with a few other fellows ;)

Kreeger1
10/30/2004, 12:01 PM
no kidding, I didn't see that listed on his website as speaking at it. Is he a for sure or a hopeful for neomac?

Steven Pro
10/31/2004, 06:11 AM
I believe that everyone that is listed has been confirmed, but you would have to check with Peter Chefalo to be sure.

Kreeger1
12/12/2004, 06:24 PM
ANy word on the xmas meeting?
Erik

Rhodophyta
12/12/2004, 06:52 PM
Erik

I just saw Jon Janda Tuesday and I guess a party and a raffle are going to be the meeting as we (C-SEA) have been doing for about twenty years. I wouldn't be adverse myself to adding a speaker or even a taped presentation to the traditional annual party, but there would not be much time for it what with buying raffle tickets, eating, buying raffle tickets, talking, buying raffle tick..... well you get it!

Rhodophyta
12/12/2004, 07:07 PM
Erik

Check the C-SEA event schedule: http://c-sea.org/schedule.html

Dec 17th Christmas Party Cleveland Zoo Aquatics Building 7:30 PM

Park at the top of the hill in the zoo parking lot off Fulton. Walk through the entrance past the picnic area and you'll see the Aquatics/Primate Building just past the last picnic tables.

Kreeger1
12/12/2004, 07:13 PM
Thanks Dan

johndawg
12/12/2004, 07:47 PM
You both must have missed this post from the 9th.
John
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=484282

Rhodophyta
12/12/2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by johndawg
You both must have missed this post from the 9th.
John
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=484282

It sounds familiar, but I didn't think to link to it, good job! I think there is a similar link on ORC too.

seandanekind
02/03/2005, 02:18 PM
CSEA is cordially invited to the Greater Cincinnati Aquarium Society ( www.gcas.org ) on Feb 20th at 7:30 PM. We're bringing Steve Tyree in. I know you guys just had him at NEOMAC, but I missed that due to other commitments (the GCAS banquet). He'll probably be giving the Environmental Gradient and Zonal Filtration talk

Steve will also be speaking at the Cincinnati Reefkeepers ( www.cincyreef.com ) meeting on the 19th (courtesy the GCAS who is footing the bill). That meeting is at my house so headcount is an issue. Still, PM me if you want to come. Just beware that CincyReef will likely spend time discussing details of their frag swap on March 5th (I don't know if that ticks you guys off or not, but I unsuccessfully lobbied for a different date).

Anyway, just extending the invitation. I'll see you guys at your fragswap - I'll probably be there with a bunch of CORA people...

Morgandy
05/27/2006, 05:43 AM
Carole/Peter, can this sticky thread be used again as the 'official' program thread since stuff about programs is being scattered all throughout the forum now? I'm going to get one definitive thread setup for just web site ideas. It's getting hard to jump around to all of them, when there are specific topics that could be kept in just one thread.

thx!!!

maggie
10/16/2006, 07:29 PM
how about Sally Boggs? -----rasing your own Pepperment Shrimp and other small kritters. ---- she was asked first of 2006 to speek at a meeting and said she would. did anyone follow up ?

GSMguy
10/29/2006, 09:27 PM
i want to go to a meeting how do i do it

Rhodophyta
10/30/2006, 06:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8440975#post8440975 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
i want to go to a meeting how do i do it

Welcome to C-SEA! Third Friday of the month, 7:30 PM, Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. There is a map to the meeting place, and the date, time, and details at the club's website. http://www.c-sea.org/ Check it ASAP since there will be some downtime coming up as the host changes.

The next meeting is a workshop. If you want to watch, it's free, but if you want to build a media reactor and take it home, then you would need to pay the workshop fee and membership dues. Details are on the club website. There will probably be a separate thread here about the workshop if it's not posted already.

ohiosalt
11/26/2006, 10:32 AM
how does one join your association?

ohiosalt
11/26/2006, 10:33 AM
do you send emails or snail mail for upcoming events?

Rhodophyta
11/26/2006, 10:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8621442#post8621442 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ohiosalt
how does one join your association?

All the joining details are here. You can mail a check or simply pay the membership person at the meeting.

Rhodophyta
11/26/2006, 10:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8621453#post8621453 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ohiosalt
do you send emails or snail mail for upcoming events? Members receive an electronic magazine, The Octopus , before meetings with the meeting announcement, articles and photos.

ohiosalt
12/01/2006, 12:58 PM
rhodophyta:
thanks for the heads up