PDA

View Full Version : 120g BB SPS Tank Going Up, Help W/ My Fish Please

burton14e7
09/20/2007, 07:40 PM
Well since it's going to be a BB SPS, I know that I need to have a good number of fish for their poop :) I'm going to have two seperate islands in the tank. I want something very much like Carls 150g on reefvideos.com. I have to keep the back open because I'm using a wavebox so the two island them sounds appropriate and to give more swimming room since it's only 4 feet.

Achilles Tang
Powder Brown Tang
Yellow Belly Blue Tang
Ora Neon Dotty Back - Already have
Engineer Goby - Already have
Pair of Ora Naked Clown fish
Oblique Dottyback
Barnicle Blenny
Yellow Goby
Rainford Goby
Firefish
Filament Wrasse
Fairy Wrasse
Yellow Wrasse

Any other suggestions or anything sticks out as not possible with my tank? I've always been a coral person not so much fish but now that I have a tank that's big enough I'd like some nice fish. If one of the tangs isn't acceptable give me a substitute please. Or just a super cool fish that I could get that I'm not thinking of or just don't know of. It seems the middle sized fish area I'm not so sure about what to get.

Tyrosinase
09/20/2007, 10:22 PM
I would not keep an achilles and a powder brown tang together in a tank that is 4 feet long. As much as I like the achilles tangs, I would suggest you got with the Powder Brown and pass on the Achilles.

Also is the yellow goby you are talking about the clown goby? If it is, I would pass on that one too. I just don't like that they nest and irritate a part of the acro.

These are my two cents on the fish list you provided.

nauticac4
09/21/2007, 07:04 AM
Id stick with the yellow and Powdered Brown. Make sure you introduce them at the same time or you may have a good fight. The naked clowns are awesome, wish I had known about them before I got my percs. Pass on the firefish simply because the tank is so big (IMO).
In my tank which is the same as yours I have
Tenneti tang
Powdered Brown
Carribean Blue Tang
3 Anthias
Lawnmower Blenny
2 percs
Engineer Goby

Post some pics when its up I'd love to see it.

nauticac4
09/21/2007, 07:05 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1210861

Bret61081
09/21/2007, 08:47 AM
Yellow wrassse are you talking about a yellow coris wrasse? If so they need sand b/c thats where they sleep at night. Also Barnicle Blennys come from colder water 68-75 and dont usually last too long in aquariums at higher temps.

burton14e7
09/21/2007, 03:02 PM
Definately not the clown gobies, just the normal yellow. I've never had a clown goby but I just don't like their face. THey look like..down syndrome fish. Yeah the Achilles is by far my fav and I saw him in Carls tank so I figured he would be cool. His tank is the same lenght but 6" wider. Oh wells, I'd rather have happy fish. I like nautica's tangs so maybe I might copy the tenneti instead of the Achilles? Does that sound plausible? There's two yellow wrasse one with white along the bottom and one with out. Thats how I differentiate them in my fish ignorance :) The one I have is with out the white, full yellow. He's been in my nano since January so he's going in the 120. I only have 1" of sand in the back of the rock, it's all blown away from the front by current and he's active. He swims laps with the dottyback. I dunno maybe I'll give him away to a buddy here. Thats weird about the barnicle too because I had one for 2 years in my 55 hex, I ended up giving him away to a buddy when I tore down that tank and he's still alive in his 180. He was my fav little buddy in the hex just because red camo is tight and he would ninja food so fast from the water column. Sometimes I couldn't find him until I dropped in some food and I would just see the blur and back track it. I've always shy'd away from teh Anthias because I read that they needed to be fed frequently through out the day and I work fulltime+some. Is that just a common misnomer? I do like them though but I figured I couldn't give them teh attention they deserve.

I'll def get some pictures up on the boards when it's all said and done. I'm actually moving from Cali to Tx next week and the 120 is replacing the nano. I'm giving away the nano to a buddy here but I'm taking my fish and corals with me. So it might be awhile before it's all said and done and I might loose a fish or coral. I'm bringing RO/DI and fresh NSW with me on the road so I can do a water change every night in the rubber mades and I'm bringing my refractometer with me to top off correctly. At night I'll plug in an MJ 400 for them...the tunze 6025's will just blow water righ tout of the containers. So going from 24 gallons to 120 I think it might be awhile before I feel like my tank is established enough to bring in the bigger fish. The wrasse, dotty, and engineer goby are my troopers so cross your fingers for me that they survive the trek through the desert.

Cantonesefish
09/21/2007, 03:35 PM
Rainford gobies are a no no for a bb tank.

burton14e7
09/21/2007, 04:50 PM
Good point, I just realized they're sand spitters because they're eating whats in the sand. I had one in the 55 and loved it, it used to always spit sand over all my rocks. Thanks for pointing out my bad selections :)