PDA

View Full Version : Tang for a 90

3mm3
09/21/2007, 10:28 AM
I have been putting together my 90 gallon tank. It is going to be a mixed reef. The tangs I like cant go into a 90 so I am unsure of what I exactly want. I am just trying to figure out what type of tang to get so I am open for suggestions. If you like or dislike a tang for whatever reason I would like to hear so I can make the decision easier.
Oh almost forgot..
The other fish that I am getting eventually will be clowns and wrasse
Thanks

xenon
09/21/2007, 11:56 AM
As long as the tang is small, you should be ok.

I have a 4" powder blue, 4" yellow and 3" hippo in my 90g.

ozadars
09/21/2007, 12:12 PM
Since tangs are fast growers, I would recommend you to decide the species as its full size. Once you get used to a fish, its hard to cleave later. Its also better for the fish's growth.
Yellow, scopas, kole, convict, tomini, purple... these tangs should be fine in a 90 gal.

EdKruzel
09/21/2007, 12:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10813869#post10813869 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xenon
As long as the tang is small, you should be ok.

I have a 4" powder blue, 4" yellow and 3" hippo in my 90g.

Please refrain from random opinion; when researching livestock it is best to study the adult/mature size, territorial demands and swimming habits. The species listed above will be quite cramped in the footprint of a standard 90 gallon system. It is unfortunate that tiny hippo tangs are so easily caught and brought into the trade. After their juvenile stage they no longer remain on the reef but swim the outer areas as planktivores in higher oxygen zones and much stronger currents. A mature hippo tang will cruise over a 1/4mi in a single feeding.

Most tangs have enormous territories in the wild and swim great lengths. Many can adapt to our tanks, but being cramped has proven to increase their aggressiveness while decreasing their immune systems (one reason tangs are referred to as ich magnets).

I wouldn't recommend any tang for a tank as small as a 90, but that's personal opinion; professional opinion does prove that a few of the smaller species of tangs (like the Kole) can survive (but not thrive) a long healthy life in a tank of 75gals or larger.

3mm3
09/21/2007, 02:06 PM
Will a Kole tang eat algae such as calerpa? I might look into getting this type of tang.

SDguy
09/21/2007, 02:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10814771#post10814771 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mmck
Will a Kole tang eat algae such as calerpa? I might look into getting this type of tang.

No. Their mouth parts aren't really designed for biting off pieces of algae. A zebrasoma species might be a better choice. Or maybe a rabbit fish...

3mm3
09/21/2007, 03:05 PM
So what would you think about yellow Hawaiian tang? Also I like rabbit fish but I heard they eat Zoanthids. Is there a safe rabbit fish if you have zoas?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10814790#post10814790 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy
No. Their mouth parts aren't really designed for biting off pieces of algae. A zebrasoma species might be a better choice. Or maybe a rabbit fish...

EdKruzel
09/21/2007, 03:12 PM
The smallest of the Zebrasoma are the Yellow Tangs, and if this is an option or possibility for you, then I would recommend looking into a Foxface, Siganus unimaculatus. It is roughly the same yellow color and size, but adapts to smaller confines much better than a tang and eats a much wider variety of greens.

SDguy
09/21/2007, 03:16 PM
Yellow tang, scopas tang, foxface if you are looking for a utilitarian algae eater.

3mm3
09/21/2007, 09:23 PM
Ok I am really looking into getting a Scopas Tang so........If you have experience with this type of tang can you give me some feedback on your experience.

Thank you

thor32766
09/22/2007, 11:30 AM
scopas tangs are really good fish. Not overly aggressive and under apperciated in my opinion. Sweet fish!

darkcirca
09/22/2007, 02:39 PM
I'd recommend a Tomini, they stay smaller and look kinda neat. I picked on up a month or so ago, and even with the darker color he gives a different look. In the actinic lights his eyes have a white glow around the outer edges.
http://wgnrs.dynalias.com:81/~sdennis/tang/6.jpg

SDguy
09/22/2007, 03:44 PM
Tominis, like other bristlemouth tangs, can't really bite off chunks of macro algae, like the OP is looking for.

But I agree, tominis are cool :D
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/Tominitangheadon.jpg