PDA

View Full Version : For those who use Hypo...?

6stringpenguin
09/22/2007, 06:00 AM
Hey there everyone. After trying Hyposalinity to eradicate Ich, I've lost some fish when dropping it too suddenly, but if I go too slowly with an infected fish, it seems the Ich has more time to kill my them. So...

When you perform a Hyposalinity treatment for Ich, do you drop the sailinity about a point a day, or do you get it done in about 2 or 3 large water changes?

Freed
09/22/2007, 06:50 AM
Oh several changes in a day or two should work fine. BUT slowly bring it back up over several days when your hypo is done.

6stringpenguin
09/22/2007, 07:00 AM
Yeah, I never had a problem bringing it back up, but bringing it down seems to be a problem. I find this unusual as well.:confused:

I've read posts by other RC members who do it in 2 water changes. Some have even said to just throw them into a tank at .009 because it's like a freshwater bath, and they should be fine. I have never tried freshwater baths, but they seem like a lot more stress than it's worth (not that I'm going to try it, either).
Once again, Thank you Freed.

Freed
09/22/2007, 02:03 PM
I put two brand new Heniochus Diphreutes in QT last night. Down to 1.016 from the LFS salinity of 1.019 over the course of three water changes from when I put them in QT. Will hold here until later on today and do a couple more changes and get it down to 1.012 for the rest of the night and then tomorrow will drop it down to 1.009 for the remainder of their stay in QT. Hopefully I won't see any ich the entire time but if I do it should be within the first week or so.

6stringpenguin
09/22/2007, 04:12 PM
Yeah, it must just be my rookie mistake or something. I think I'll get better at this over time. As of now, my 2 favorite fish are at least doing well, but i might have to slowly restock within the next several months. All through QT and hypo. I'm glad everyone has voted on my first poll. LOL

Freed
09/23/2007, 11:28 AM
At 1.012 since late last night. Will drop to 1.009 over the course of the day today and let you know how they are. Right now they are fine and eating well.

6stringpenguin
09/23/2007, 11:59 AM
I've lost some serious fish. Pretty upset right now. Some fish are still hanging on. I've been trying to drop the salinity over the past week. Some fish swam sideways until they died. Some are probably starving. And the Ich is preying on the weak ones. I still have my purple tang, a blenny, a half black angel, doing great, and a weak, starving hippo tang in my 55 gallon hospital tank.

Freed
09/23/2007, 08:07 PM
How is your QT set up? Mine is in my sig. Holding steady at 1.009SG. Good luck with yours.

6stringpenguin
09/23/2007, 09:26 PM
Well, now that I've lost a few more fish than necessary, I have just checked my PH, and I think I found the reason why everything will be dead in a few days. I normally test my tank at least once a day, but I have neglected to do so since I had to move everything around my tank area, including my test kit. Since I didn't check it, the Ph is about 7.4. I just added a buffer and I'm off to sleep. With a little luck, maybe they'll be alright in the morning, but I think I'll have to take it easy on myself when it comes time to restock my cruddy tank all over again. Oh crap.

Freed
09/28/2007, 12:02 PM
I just noticed a few spots of ich on one of the fish's tails, which is normally how long it takes for it to show up. I have had them at 1.009 since Sunday so after I see the last spot of ich the timer will start on the 4-6 weeks in hypo.

flaco626nj
09/29/2007, 11:27 AM
hey guys im new here my method to brying them in to hypo is as so.i do a fresh water dip with metholyn blue makeing ssure the ph is the same in all three locations(bag tank and fresh water ) i dip for 30 min since metholyn blue is very oxenginated then i go and put him in qt at 1.009 0r 1.010 dont matter were they were at i have found that to bring them back up is more stressfull on the fish then bringing them down.hope this helps victor