PDA

View Full Version : Cycling new tank with shrimp.

klassej
09/22/2007, 12:11 PM
New to the hobby here. I plan on using a shrimp to start the cyling process. My question is, do I take the shrimp out once ammonia is detected or do you leave it in there indefinately.

Thanks for your input.

:rollface:

snulma1
09/22/2007, 12:21 PM
I did that on my first 55g, and I had to pull it out after 3-4 days cuz the smell was awful. So I would say until you get ammonia then u can remove it.

bertoni
09/22/2007, 01:34 PM
[welcome]

If the tank has live rock, I wouldn't add the shrimp at all. I don't think it serves any purpose.

cd77
09/22/2007, 01:54 PM
Obligatory -- poor little shrimpies. Dying just to stock our tanks with ammonia and bacteria :(

I never got it to work myself. One veteran's suggestion recently posted was to put the shrimp in a blender until it was a milky substance and dump it in. The next tank I cycle, I think I'm going to try that -- seems like it may be more effective.

You can also try feeding the tank until you see ammonia.

And not to start a debate, but there is always bio-spira (a bit expensive, but basically just refrigerated bacteria as I understand it) which I recently tested on a new FW setup and it worked exactly as advertised. The effectiveness and claims made by the bio-spira product are frequently debated here and other places.

skriz
09/22/2007, 03:16 PM
I left it in until it looked nasty. Then dumped it outside cuz it smelled terrible!

loosecannon
09/23/2007, 01:18 PM
Bio- spira, will not do any thing that will not hapen any way! About same time! No debate thar! Klassej just get a skoop of sand from and older tank, lfs, reef-club.

Piscator
09/23/2007, 01:53 PM
Shrimp will work. I usually throw in some frozen brine. As mentioned, with live rock, it will cycle without this.

-Jason